Beach Body hammer and Chisel Macro difficulties

Options
nixonshaun
nixonshaun Posts: 17 Member
Morning MFP users,
I have been working with a nutritionist for the past year, have worked on reducing sodium, increasing fiber and making healthier food choices. I lost close to 20 pounds over the last year and have kept it off. This led me to read Dr. Greger's book "How not to die" and I have increasingly adopted a more plant based diet, though I still love a good steak and BBQ every now and then.
I am looking at starting the Hammer and Chisel program and having used the calculator, I will be on plan C, 1800-2099 calories a day. I took a look at the containers i could eat per day, drafted a diet and looked at the macro split and it turned out to be 50 carbs, 25 protein and 25 fat. On doing some reading I discovered the Hammer and Chisel uses the 21 Day Fix nutrition plan and the Macros should be around 40/30/30. I am not sure why I cant get mine there having:
5 green, 3 purple, 5 red, 4 yellow, 1 blue, 1 orange container with 5 spoons.

any ideas?

Replies

• Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    You can do any of the Beachbody programs without pairing with their eating plan. I have Beachbody on Demand, I love the workouts. I never use their other stuff (the shakes or the containers). If your diet has been working for you and you created it with a professional I wouldn’t switch it up for their dumb container program.
  • nixonshaun
    Options
    You can do any of the Beachbody programs without pairing with their eating plan. I have Beachbody on Demand, I love the workouts. I never use their other stuff (the shakes or the containers). If your diet has been working for you and you created it with a professional I wouldn’t switch it up for their dumb container program.

Thanks, that's very insightful. My worry is that i seem to have plateaued and would like to drop another 20 pounds. I thought a change up might be helpful. While I have worked hard, maintaining a minimum of 150 mins a week of cardio and some resistance training, my sodium is under 1500 a day and fiber higher than the 38 RDA. I am curious if lowering the carbs from 50% to 40% would prove beneficial in weight loss. What do you think?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    what @Shortgirlrunning said - don't feel like you need to use the beachbody meal plans - and honestly, i find them full of bunk because you can easily manipulate how much you can fit into the various containers
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    nixonshaun wrote: »

Thanks, that's very insightful. My worry is that i seem to have plateaued and would like to drop another 20 pounds. I thought a change up might be helpful. While I have worked hard, maintaining a minimum of 150 mins a week of cardio and some resistance training, my sodium is under 1500 a day and fiber higher than the 38 RDA. I am curious if lowering the carbs from 50% to 40% would prove beneficial in weight loss. What do you think?

The solution to a plateau isn't to change up your diet or lower carbs. It's to determine your maintenance calories and eat less than that. Do you know what maintenance is for you? Are you logging using a food scale. If you've gone 6 to 8 weeks without losing, then you are likely not in calorie deficit. That is how you lose fat, not through dietary manipulations of cutting carbs.

If you lower carbs you could lose some water weight but that is not fat loss. I think you are kind of getting lost in the details. Get adequate protein, about .8 grams per lb of body weight is a reasonable estimate, adequate fat, .3 grams per lb of body weight and let the rest fall where it may. It is much more accurate to use grams than percentages.
  • nixonshaun
    Options
    @mmapags, thanks for the response. I do tend to overthink things. I use a food scale all the time due to medical issues. Having to take blood thinners means I have to track my vitamin K daily and keep it consistent as K helps with clotting and the thinners do the opposite so its a balancing act. Protein intake is also a challenge as too high causes me to metabolize the blood thinners differently.
    Currently MFP has me at a 50c / 30f / 20p macro split. The protein requirement is 75g, though i usually hover between 90 and 110g a day.

If i take my bodyweight, multiply it by 11 and add 400 - i get my daily caloric needs (per Beach Body 21 day fix), if I subtract 750 from that number i should consumer 1828 calories per day for a calorie deficit of 750 a day. In the past 30 days i have been over that 10 days of the 30. That's likely a contributing factor, though the food is healthy it may be too calorie dense.
    thanks for you input, I appreciate it.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    nixonshaun wrote: »
    @mmapags, thanks for the response. I do tend to overthink things. I use a food scale all the time due to medical issues. Having to take blood thinners means I have to track my vitamin K daily and keep it consistent as K helps with clotting and the thinners do the opposite so its a balancing act. Protein intake is also a challenge as too high causes me to metabolize the blood thinners differently.
    Currently MFP has me at a 50c / 30f / 20p macro split. The protein requirement is 75g, though i usually hover between 90 and 110g a day.

If i take my bodyweight, multiply it by 11 and add 400 - i get my daily caloric needs (per Beach Body 21 day fix), if I subtract 750 from that number i should consumer 1828 calories per day for a calorie deficit of 750 a day. In the past 30 days i have been over that 10 days of the 30. That's likely a contributing factor, though the food is healthy it may be too calorie dense.
    thanks for you input, I appreciate it.
    Bear in mind that all these formulas are estimates. After enough time to derive our own data from real life results, we adjust appropriately. If you are averaging the numbers you said over time and not losing fat for a period of 6 to 8 weeks, you need to tighten down on the calories and logging accuracy ad reduce calories.
  • nixonshaun
    Options
    @mmapags. Thanks