Cardio question

Options
zfitgal
zfitgal Posts: 478 Member
Hi,
I have been doing very intense cardio 3 days a week (insanitymax 30 workouts). I developed acid reflux and now have to modify my workouts. No.more jumping up and down. No more burpees or up and down floor exercises. Hopefully this will allow my esophogus to heel...My question is will I still be able to lose weight if my calories are the same, my duration of my workout is the same but the intensity is lowered? Or would I have to lower my calories a bit...

Replies

• KrissFlavored
    KrissFlavored Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Your daily calorie goal isnt supposed to include your workout, it's supposed to be set before exercise.

You do burn less calories based on lower intensity, I'm not sure how you were calculating your calorie burn before, but you add exercise seperate. You shouldn't lower your goal if your activity level is set appropriately without including your exercise
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,019 Member
    Options
    Same advice as always...try it and see. Depending on how much weight you are trying to lose, how intense your workouts are in comparison and how accurate you are being with your logging, it may be fine. The calories are not an exact number.

Give it a month.
  • Daveybaseball
    Daveybaseball Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Just figure out on average how much you burn in a day and try to eat less then you burn off. To loose weight you have to consistently eat less then your body burns in a day. Days you workout you cand and should be eatint more then days you don’t and don’t do any exercise. Do not eat back the extra calories that it says you have left or it says you earned. If you eat the extra calories then you most likely will just maintain weight. If you stick to calorie goal and burn more then you take in you will be good.
  • zfitgal
    Options
    Your daily calorie goal isnt supposed to include your workout, it's supposed to be set before exercise.

You do burn less calories based on lower intensity, I'm not sure how you were calculating your calorie burn before, but you add exercise seperate. You shouldn't lower your goal if your activity level is set appropriately without including your exercise

I'm a mom to a six year old...i make sure to walk 11,000 steps a day now that I'm in quarentine..i set my goal at 1650 its been fine but I still want to lose even though I'm doing lower intensity...i never added in my exercise calories for I don't know the accuracy of them. That's why I made.my calories 1650
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    You will still be able to lose weight as long as you are in a calorie deficit. If you don't want to log your exercise, you could change your settings to active and set to lose your .5, 1lb, or 2lb per week goal(idk how much you have to lose) and see what it gives you and follow that. The only way to know if it is correct is to try and see.
  • KrissFlavored
    KrissFlavored Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Okay but your calorie goal already includes a weight loss deficit, so even if you never did any exercise, you would still lose.

• zfitgal
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    zfitgal wrote: »

I'm a mom to a six year old...i make sure to walk 11,000 steps a day now that I'm in quarentine..i set my goal at 1650 its been fine but I still want to lose even though I'm doing lower intensity...i never added in my exercise calories for I don't know the accuracy of them. That's why I made.my calories 1650

You can guarantee the absolutely 1 wrong number for calories burned in exercise - Zero.
    Actually, anything down there in double digits is likely wrong if it's an hour.

Do you not record food because the nutrition labels are allowed to be upwards of 20% wrong?
    Do you not record eat out food because you can't weigh everything?

And please say you didn't choose Sedentary with having a kid and that many steps daily!

I chose lightly active and im looking to lose half a pound a week...even if its not half, as long as im going down.
  • zfitgal
    Options
    Okay but your calorie goal already includes a weight loss deficit, so even if you never did any exercise, you would still lose.

I always got so confused on how rate myself. Weather I was active or lightly active. When i placed myself at active MFP said i could eat close to 2100 calories, but Im sure that is my TDEE. So if i subtract 500 i get 1600....If that was the case how come I was losing .5 a pound a week or even less doing very intense weight training and cardio? Im sure an hour of cardio is about a 600 calorie burn....

I was never good at this...
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Exercise usually has as side effect water weight gain for several reasons.
    Inches dropped might have shown more was being lost than just fat weight masked by water weight gain.