Broken bones.... staying committed

Options
AprilSue
AprilSue Posts: 88 Member
edited May 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
This week has been extremely rough for me. Had just started week 5 of a lifting program when I broke my wrist landscaping... few pretty rough days... mainly emotionally. I know I need to focus on what I can do... cardio and nutrition but it’s hard backing off of something I enjoyed so much and knowing I will lose so much progress

Replies

• Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    You probably won't lose as much progress as you think. It seems to take about a month to even start losing muscle after pausing a lifting program, and then it's pretty slow after.

Admittedly that one wrist will be weaker for a while due to the injury, but that's only one wrist. It'll catch up.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Ok, so a lot of upper body moves might be out, but you can still do squats, lunges, split squats, core work, etc.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Also keep in mind that you might retain some water while you are healing so now is not the time to fret over the scale.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    You have 3 good limbs. Plenty you can do. I've had 8 upper body orthopedic surgeries and was walking the day after each, at the gym as soon as stitches came out after 10 days.

Best of luck.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you just got a great reason to work on your cardio related goals!

You could do body weight related lower body exercises just to keep your legs engaged, right? Lots of core work?

I'm always of the mindset that, "I can't change this. It is what it is. I can either work around it and do the best with what I've got or use it as an excuse." I usually choose the latter and make lemonade... :)

Sorry you got hurt! Hoping for a speedy recovery!
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I don’t know what the lifting programme includes, but there may still be stuff you can do. Are you doing it at home or in a gym? I’m thinking (if you can get someone to help you) squatting using a weights belt, SSB front squats, full range of leg stuff like hammy curls, weighted calf raises, quad extensions...
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    My pool closed March 14, and they don't have plans to open any sooner than fall :( I'm doing other things, but I swim because my knees don't allow me to do 5 days a week of running/impact activities. So I walk. I do bodyweight workouts (gym is closed too), yoga, and some YouTube stuff. Oh, and PT for my knee...

Hang in there. I wonder if I'll even remember how to swim when I get back in a pool. I am a late learner. Here's to everybody who is getting out there and moving. It's especially hard if your usual workout has been disrupted and you have to start something new or different.
  • AprilSue
    AprilSue Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. Gyms are closed so I’ve been working at home alone. You are right. I need to keep a positive mindset. Thanks for the ideas and support!!
  • Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I read a recent study (sorry, can't find it now) and I believe after 4-6 weeks off lifting, regular lifting athletes' lifts regressed one week, which is not much.

Especially as a new lifter, you should have minimal regression. Now that you have a little experience, think of it as a good opportunity to use what you've learned since you started; hone in your form (you can still do many body weight exercises), adjust any lift's weights as needed, and-in an albeit different way-you'll come back stronger than you were before.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I feel for you! I broke my wrist (scaphoid bone) in 2015 and I was miserable. I went from being super active to near sedentary and I did not like it one bit!

The bad news: there really isn't much you can do as far as weights are concerned. At least, I couldn't. Couldn't hold the bar to do squats. Couldn't hold dumbbells. Couldn't even do a lot of body weight exercises outside of low plank. I spent a lot of time on my treadmill!

The good news: it all comes back really fast. I'd say within 6 weeks of getting the cast removed I was right back where I was when the break occurred. And I am an aerialist, so "right back" means I was hanging upside down in the air from that hand!

My recommendation: Yes, do some cardio for fitness. Yes, focus on good nutrition, but you may want to consider taking a maintenance break. I kept trying to lose weight while recovering and when I went in for my 6 week appointment, there was no sign of healing! Absolutely nothing! So, I increased my calories and accepted a small gain so my body would have what it needed to heal. All told, I spent 19 weeks in that cast! Best of luck to you!
  • caffeinetanya
    caffeinetanya Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    At the beginning of quarantine it looks like I fractured something in my foot. I could barely walk for several weeks (and it still hurts now). I fell hard off the wagon, adjusting to life at home etc and not being able to even do something basic like go for a walk (ironic because I feel on a walk). I really miss the weight training I was going at the gym before this started too. Now I’m focusing on getting moving again, and will be looking into some body weight exercises which won’t put too much pressure on my foot.

I started by really focusing back on getting my eating under control, then started moving again. I feel like I have lost a lot of the strength gains I was making but my partner insists I haven’t since functionaly I’m still able to do things I was going after I started training that I wasn’t able to do before.