Can an Obese run?

Options
2»

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,273 Member
    Options
    So if I can’t jog properly should I even attempt to run, I probably can’t even run for 1 min. Idek why but I feel like running. Not even jogging but straight run and go crazy 😂 am I losing my mind.. maybe
    C25K will start you at a slow easy pace, 30 seconds at a time, with recovery in between... and even that was extremely difficult for me at first!

It took time, and some set backs along the way (a couple surgeries, one with a 12 week recovery), but I am to the point where I can run 40-45 minutes non stop with little issue (I can go longer, but have found my knees aren’t ready for the distance yet so I am slowly building up).

ETA: I also realized early on that my stride was terrible with a very jarring heel strike - a local running store did a gait analysis and gave me some tips (I also attended a free evening get together for further instruction)... it wasn’t easy, or fast, but it was a game changer for me and kept me running pain free!

Is CK sumn a program ?

C25K = couch to 5k program

For example this one : https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/exercise/couch-to-5k-week-by-week/
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    So if I can’t jog properly should I even attempt to run, I probably can’t even run for 1 min. Idek why but I feel like running. Not even jogging but straight run and go crazy 😂 am I losing my mind.. maybe

You should probably look into something like C25K program which will have you start with jogging and walking intervals. You'll want to do the jogging portions slowly...don't worry about speed. It's an app you can put on your phone and it will tell you when to do what. It's also 3x per week so it's good for a beginner to get acclimated and to get proper recovery.

You'll want to pay closer attention to how your joints, etc are feeling...being heavier, you can run, but you are also at higher risk for injury and joint pain because the weight is additional strain on an already strenuous activity.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options

At this particular time it's hard to find a beach, Uma, you need a beach so you can just run, run, run.
    Cut a path across the blue skies, lean on the gas and off the clutch.
    Take a truck or take a Chevy
    There's a shortcut out of town
    Don't let that speed limit slow you down
    Go on and break it
    Run...you can't get there fast enough
    But MFP will be here when you do
    Thanks for your updates

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK34jEe58yo
  • UmaMageswarymfp
    UmaMageswarymfp Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    C25K will start you at a slow easy pace, 30 seconds at a time, with recovery in between... and even that was extremely difficult for me at first!

It took time, and some set backs along the way (a couple surgeries, one with a 12 week recovery), but I am to the point where I can run 40-45 minutes non stop with little issue (I can go longer, but have found my knees aren’t ready for the distance yet so I am slowly building up).

ETA: I also realized early on that my stride was terrible with a very jarring heel strike - a local running store did a gait analysis and gave me some tips (I also attended a free evening get together for further instruction)... it wasn’t easy, or fast, but it was a game changer for me and kept me running pain free!

Is CK sumn a program ?

C25K = couch to 5k program

For example this one : https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/exercise/couch-to-5k-week-by-week/

Got it thank you 💜
  • UmaMageswarymfp
    Options
    Diatonic12 wrote: »

At this particular time it's hard to find a beach, Uma, you need a beach so you can just run, run, run.
    Cut a path across the blue skies, lean on the gas and off the clutch.
    Take a truck or take a Chevy
    There's a shortcut out of town
    Don't let that speed limit slow you down
    Go on and break it
    Run...you can't get there fast enough
    But MFP will be here when you do
    Thanks for your updates

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK34jEe58yo

Beautifully put 💜💜💜
  • UmaMageswarymfp
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

You should probably look into something like C25K program which will have you start with jogging and walking intervals. You'll want to do the jogging portions slowly...don't worry about speed. It's an app you can put on your phone and it will tell you when to do what. It's also 3x per week so it's good for a beginner to get acclimated and to get proper recovery.

You'll want to pay closer attention to how your joints, etc are feeling...being heavier, you can run, but you are also at higher risk for injury and joint pain because the weight is additional strain on an already strenuous activity.

Got it, will look into it . Thank you 💜
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, if you can find trails/ a park to run in I think it's much nicer than roads as well as being a bit more gentle on joints.

Excellent advice has been given already. As well as good trainers a well fitted sports bra will make it a happier experience (I like the zip up ones from M & S, trying to climb out of some of them is harder than the run!)

Don't be afraid to repeat a week if you need to on C25K, a slow steady progression is much better than trying to go to fast and getting injured.