Diastasis recti. (Ab seperation)

lsjs87
lsjs87 Posts: 12 Member
edited May 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi all. I have had 8 children in a short space of time and have a single finger width gap under the rib, a two-three finger width gap at the belly button and a single finger width gap at the pelvis. Can anyone recommend any good exercises for strengthening these core muscles please. Also back strengthening as years of pregnancy and slouching have taken its toll. I have started Pilates and running but don't want to undertake anything that could make it worse. Thanks

Replies

• emmoen
    emmoen Posts: 218 Member
    Definitely should go see a physical therapist that specializes in pelvic floor and postpardium care... avoid crunches or sit up motion as that makes it worse. Look up supine and quadruped trans abdominis activation exercises
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    What worked for mine was ab roller, which basically works the same muscles as a plank but dynamic. Vacuum exercises also help.

Basically if an exercise (such as sit-ups or crunches) is making the gap poke out, don’t do that, that is not a good exercise for diastasis recti.

Recommend a whole body progressive weight program for both the abs and the back.
  • eccentricplaza
    eccentricplaza Posts: 115 Member
    Vacuum holds, heel slides and heel taps. And watch videos of how to do them properly. There are others, but those are my go to at the moment. I'm a new mom with barely any separation and was cleared to do abs again. I don't even get doming from doing more of the "you should avoid doing this" exercises, and I think it's because of the vacuum holds (I was told by my midwife those were safe to do even at my 2 week pp visit). Not sure about the back, my posture is not something I have an issue with so I don't know what specifically helps.

I'm amazed at how little separation you have after 8 kids. Kudos!
  • lsjs87
    lsjs87 Posts: 12 Member
    Vacuum holds, heel slides and heel taps. And watch videos of how to do them properly. There are others, but those are my go to at the moment. I'm a new mom with barely any separation and was cleared to do abs again. I don't even get doming from doing more of the "you should avoid doing this" exercises, and I think it's because of the vacuum holds (I was told by my midwife those were safe to do even at my 2 week pp visit). Not sure about the back, my posture is not something I have an issue with so I don't know what specifically helps.

I'm amazed at how little separation you have after 8 kids. Kudos!

So was I tbh. I expected it to be a lot worse. Will youtube your recommendations as I've never heard of them. Thanks.