Thinking of running a 10K in October

Options
debi_f
debi_f Posts: 330 Member
Hello all! I'm looking to all of you for advice on whether I can feasibly work up to 10K by October 27.

Here's where I am now: I run 4-7 times a week (over the summer, I ran every morning, but now that school is in, I'll be running 4 days and "gymming" it the other 3). My runs tend to be between 2.5 and 3.5 miles.

I'd like to start pushing myself, though. I ran a 5K in March, and well, let's just say that the experience was less than wonderful. I actually backed out of another race after that, because the first one had been so awful. It wasn't so much the run itself, but the whole race-experience. (I live in a country where I don't really speak the language, and I didn't know a single person at the run, so I spent a lot of the time before the race wondering -- and letting myself get worked up over -- whether I was even in the right place or doing the right thing...)

Anyway, there is a big running event right here in my own town, so I KNOW my family will be there (heck, I would be running less than half a block from my house for part of it).

So my concerns are twofold: 1. Can I reasonably/safely expect to increase the distance to 10K by October, and 2. How do I get over the mental fear of a March-repeat?

My goal is really just to finish the race. I don't need to set any land-speed records, but I'd like to be able to do it without walking.

Any words of advice?

Replies

• mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    1) Yes it is if you are completely committed to it, give it your all and most importantly follow a trusted and respected running program.

2) So? You're not there to please or impress anyone else other than yourself. Don't take any notice of anyone else, I'm sure they're not taking any notice of you.
  • mrp56839
    mrp56839 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    If you're going to do it, get on it! Most 10K training plans are 8-10 weeks. Physically, i think you can do it since you've already got a good base.

I ran a 5k in July, have another next month and then the 10k in late October. My runs now in Week 3 are 3-4 days a week, 2-4 miles each, but they'll start to ramp up shortly. My current training plan will get me to 6 miles without an issue and is very undemanding. (check out michael thomas for the plan)

Races/Runs are supposed to be fun. You've already identified what made the march race not fun for you. Those things won't be an issue in October. Don't let 1 bad experience keep you from having good ones.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    1) Yes it is if you are completely committed to it, give it your all and most importantly follow a trusted and respected running program.

2) So? You're not there to please or impress anyone else other than yourself. Don't take any notice of anyone else, I'm sure they're not taking any notice of you.

^^^ This. I've done multiple 5Ks and 10Ks and am working towards my first-half marathon on Oct. 26. You have plenty of time.
  • madtownjeremy
    Options
    1. Yes. :) There are a number of plans out there to get you prepared; I'd suggest anything written by Hal Higdon.

2. The situation is different. But still, wake up early, get into your zone, do a light warmup jog and when you get to the starting line, put everyone around you out of your head and visualize nothing but that finish line. Plenty of time to pay attention to your surroundings when you're recovering. :)

Good luck!
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Definitely do it. Your family will be there - you can hang out with them before the race and then they will be there the cheer you on at the end. You will have no problem running the distance - just slow down on your longer runs. I know you are pretty fast, and you have to be willing to slow it down a little to work on your stamina.
  • debi_f
    Options
    Thanks all.

I'm not worried about impressing anyone, but imagine going to do something for the first time and having someone giving you the "instructions" in Chinese or Greek or some other language you don't speak. It was more a matter of nerves and anxiety, and my family refused to come with me (even for moral support) for the first one. This one, they won't have any excuses to leave me hanging! (insert evil laugh here)

Another plus is that I know most of this route -- parts of it are already on my normal running/biking routes.

I'll definitely check out Michael Thomas. I need a good training plan to follow!
  • runlaugheatpie
    runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Hi Debi
    You can definitely do it, especially if you find a plan and then really stick with it.

I understand the feeling of having to "get over" a not so stellar race. My first half was AWFUL and I pretty much NEVER wanted to do that again. Finally after 2 years I worked up the courage to do it again and I just planned, prepared and pushed it out of my head that it would be like the first one or that I would fail.

So. Yes, you should go for it :)

Where is it? Maybe I can join you?

Renée
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I ran a 10K in July. I had been "training" since Late February/early March, on a 5K plan. (Prior to that I ran a mile as a warm up a couple days a week.) I ran two 5Ks before I ran the 10K, but the most I'd ever run was 4 miles, at a slow pace, prior to actually doing the 10K. I did fine. I realized my left knee maybe needs a brace after 3.5 miles, but I finished, and I was pleased with my time. Just find a plan and add some distance to one run each week. Just chalk the march race up to beginner nerves, know that you will be fine and go for it!
  • debi_f
    Options
    Hi Debi
    You can definitely do it, especially if you find a plan and then really stick with it.

I understand the feeling of having to "get over" a not so stellar race. My first half was AWFUL and I pretty much NEVER wanted to do that again. Finally after 2 years I worked up the courage to do it again and I just planned, prepared and pushed it out of my head that it would be like the first one or that I would fail.

So. Yes, you should go for it :)

Where is it? Maybe I can join you?

Renée

You're right! I just need to "do" it!

And the race is here in Etten-Leur on Oct. 27. If you come run with me, I'll even make dinner for you (and yours, of course)!! Heck, I'll even have hubby provide chiropractic care!
  • debi_f
    Options
    I ran a 10K in July. I had been "training" since Late February/early March, on a 5K plan. (Prior to that I ran a mile as a warm up a couple days a week.) I ran two 5Ks before I ran the 10K, but the most I'd ever run was 4 miles, at a slow pace, prior to actually doing the 10K. I did fine. I realized my left knee maybe needs a brace after 3.5 miles, but I finished, and I was pleased with my time. Just find a plan and add some distance to one run each week. Just chalk the march race up to beginner nerves, know that you will be fine and go for it!

Congratulations on doing the 10K! Your accomplishment definitely gives me hope!
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    RunConquerCelebrate Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    You can definitely train for your first 10k by October. For my first 10k the goal was to finish it was not about any particular time. I downloaded a training program from this site and got the NIke App on my phone to track my miles run.

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/10k-training-schedule

Prior to running the race I got to run 5 miles never ran the whole 10k while training and i did good ran it in an hour and 10 minutes. Do not worry about other people at the race trust me we all have our fears when we are out there running. Once you accomplish that goal you are going to feel great and crossing that finish line is an AWESOME feeling knowing that you just ran a 10k.

I have ran two and getting ready to do another one in October as well. I already started training. When you get to the race do not focus on the runners that look like they know what they are doing, with the perfect gear, the right shoes, they are running, stretching etc they can be intimidating LOL!!!. Good luck
  • debi_f
    Options
    Thanks so much! I looked at the training schedule, and it looks completely do-able!
  • runlaugheatpie
    runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    send me the link to the race? I don' t have anything that day and depending on the time I think I can do it :) would be fun to run together!!
  • teaparty75
    teaparty75 Posts: 170
    Options
    i'm "running" my first 10k sunday !! i've been training for awhile so my endurance is there BUT i can't honestly say that i can run a mile without stopping so i vow to catch my breath and start back up - so i'm not really worried about running the whole thing but i plan on finishing strong !! GOOD LUCK !!
  • debi_f
    Options
    Renee, the link is on the way!

Tea Party, good luck with the race this Sunday! You'll do great!
  • PaintedAlice
    PaintedAlice Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Best of luck for your run in October. You can definitely do it!

I've just signed up for one at the end of November so in a similar boat! I'm at the end of Week 3 of ZenLabs training programme towards a 10K and it's good; I'd recommend if you wanted to hop in at Week 6 or somewhere. I'm really enjoying working towards that target.

On the day itself, just concentrate on your own aims, and don't worry about getting stuff wrong, other people, or not 'making it'. I read a good discussion on here the other day about walking part of a 10K and whether there was any shame in that; general consensus seems to be that no one loses respect for you if you do walk part. That made me feel a lot happier and more confident- I'm hoping not to have to walk, but if I do, I realise now that no one will throw eggs!
  • kaylacollinscna
    kaylacollinscna Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I have two 10Ks in October that I just started training -really- hard for, but I know I'm in over my head. Money's already spent for entry in the races though, so I figure I'll just work harder! I figure as long as I finish it doesn't -really- matter if I'm one of the last. I'm making huge improvements though :)