Stubborn Thighs

Options
Hello!

Hope everyone’s doing well. Since I’m not in school at the minute, I’m taking my time to takle my thighs. However they just don’t seem to budge? I do around 400 calorie burn cardio a day, and have a low calorie intake, and have been doing this for about a week. The fat around my stomach has gone quickly, but my thighs just won’t move. Any suggestions?

Lara.

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. The weight comes off where it wants to, and that's genetic.

How much strength training do you do? It's not a big calorie burner, but strength training can help shape your weight loss results.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Where are you expecting them to move to?!

You can't spot reduce, but I have found that since I've been running regularly again my thighs have started to look better. It took months before I noticed that though. I imagine cycling would have a similar impact (eventually).
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    I carry weight in my thighs too. It’s the last to go. Nothing you can do but lose more weight.

I personally like having muscular legs so I feel better about this when I train for pretty quads, calves, etc
  • twio2015
    twio2015 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Keep at it. It will come
  • jaymijones
    jaymijones Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have very solid (for lack of a nicer term) legs. I always will. Basically where my legs are concerned I have three options. Solid large and muscular legs, large flabby marshmallow legs. Or malnutrition, and dangerously low body fat percentages. I’m mostly at peace with that. I’m very active and healthy, and I have a hard time finding pants that fit over my thighs and also sit snug on my waist.

Sometimes I need to check my expectations, but mostly I have come to terms with it. Love the body you have first!

It’s okay to have a body type that doesn’t fit what society says is acceptable.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Lean out and work the squats and deadlifts.

Cycling and jumped rope help to tone.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    jaymijones wrote: »
    I have very solid (for lack of a nicer term) legs. I always will. Basically where my legs are concerned I have three options. Solid large and muscular legs, large flabby marshmallow legs. Or malnutrition, and dangerously low body fat percentages. I’m mostly at peace with that. I’m very active and healthy, and I have a hard time finding pants that fit over my thighs and also sit snug on my waist.

Sometimes I need to check my expectations, but mostly I have come to terms with it. Love the body you have first!

It’s okay to have a body type that doesn’t fit what society says is acceptable.

Same here. I'll never have small legs. Even if my BMI gets rather close to underweight my legs are still big (and my pelvis and all sorts of other bones poke out). Plus my face will look just sick and ugly. I prefer to stay at a higher weight, accept my legs and be happy that my face doesn't look like I was shipwrecked.
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Time first and foremost. Like 4-6 weeks before you will notice much if anything. Take pictures now to help you spot the difference. Second would be to add in moves that work those areas. Banded monster walk, squat jumps, skier jumps and jumping lunges are super effective cardio moves. Squats, deadlifts a weight lateral lunges for higher weight strength moves.
  • gottalosethemchinsyeh
    Options
    I’ve only just checked back here, but thank you all for your comments.
    TeaBea wrote: »
    You can't spot reduce. The weight comes off where it wants to, and that's genetic.

How much strength training do you do? It's not a big calorie burner, but strength training can help shape your weight loss results.

I do a few YouTube videos if that counts, I don’t have weights or at most I have arm weights but I don’t have bands or ankle weights. I usually do 2 or 3 15min videos after a 500 calorie cycle and I have about 1000 calories a day as I don’t have a huge appetite, so sugar, gluten or dairy. I have quite muscular legs because I do sports, but I was more wanting to focus on the flabby inside thigh area.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you want to really improve how your body looks, I wouldn't recommend a low calorie diet and I would recommend looking at more resistance based programs. Low calorie programs often don't allow for adequate protein, which increases muscle loss, which means your body fat isn't dropping as fast. Lack of resistance training (even body weight) would also not help the situation as resistance training helps maintain muscle. If anything, go for a less aggressive weight loss, aim for .8-1g of protein/lb and do workout videos based on body weight resistance or look at a program like Athlean X Zero.

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    You eat 1000 calories per day, do a 500 calorie burn cycle, and then on top of all that you also do 3x 15min YouTube videos? You are dangerously under fueling your body.