Own Ingredients

Options
I make my own low sodium ingredients such as soy sauce, but when I create a recipe can't find a way to enter my own soy sauce rather than one from a manufacturer, is there a way?

Replies

• YellowD0gs
    YellowD0gs Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I have good luck logging my own foods from the Recipes sub-tab of the Food main tab.
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I believe you can create a recipe in your diary. When I select add a food it gives me the option under recipes to create one.
  • rcervetto
    rcervetto Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Do you mean use a recipe you already created (your low-sodium soy sauce) in another recipe? I haven't been able to find a way, how I got around it was to enter the ingredients as a meal and save the meal.

I had to do that for lasagna - I made a recipe for the sauce and then couldn't log my sauce recipe in the lasagna recipe, so I added all the ingredients plus the sauce recipe and saved the meal as lasagna.

The other option I think is to create a "food" rather than recipe for the soy sauce but don't know if that would work for you (you just enter the micro/macro numbers - could get this from your recipe entry - rather than individual ingredients)
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    On a laptop, when you click Add Food, one of the available tabs (far right) is Recipes, from which you'd select your own item. On my Android phone, underneath the blue shaded section are options of All, Recipes, Meals, MyFoods. Assuming you have the same, select Recipes and then select your entry.
  • prydings1
    prydings1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    rcervetto wrote: »
    Do you mean use a recipe you already created (your low-sodium soy sauce) in another recipe? I haven't been able to find a way, how I got around it was to enter the ingredients as a meal and save the meal.

I had to do that for lasagna - I made a recipe for the sauce and then couldn't log my sauce recipe in the lasagna recipe, so I added all the ingredients plus the sauce recipe and saved the meal as lasagna.

The other option I think is to create a "food" rather than recipe for the soy sauce but don't know if that would work for you (you just enter the micro/macro numbers - could get this from your recipe entry - rather than individual ingredients)

yes that is the problem I have, then I can log the meal but next time I want to make it I don't have the recipe to follow if that makes sense, seems strange they don't give you an option to replace something like soy sauce with something you created? makes this program pretty useless to me, I can exclude soy sauce all together from recipe but do want my own in there! think I have tO find a new program
  • prydings1
    prydings1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    harper16 wrote: »
    I believe you can create a recipe in your diary. When I select add a food it gives me the option under recipes to create one.

Not for me? I can create a food such as own soy sauce but cant embed it in my recipe??
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    prydings1 wrote: »
    harper16 wrote: »

Not for me? I can create a food such as own soy sauce but cant embed it in my recipe??

MFP doesn't allow you to embed a recipe in another recipe.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    Here is info on how you can convolutedly use one of your recipes as an ingredient in another recipe. You have to use the classic recipe creator and you have to make your ingredient into a “my food”. But it does work.

https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032622771-How-can-I-use-a-recipe-as-an-ingredient-in-a-new-recipe-
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Does your soy sauce even have that many calories that it would make a difference if you just left it out of the recipe? Or you can just add it separately to the meal in your diary.