Injury help/opinion

Options
Whenever I start a run the first step on my right foot always causes a sharp pain in my ankle. It usually goes away after the first couple steps. Yesterday it barely dulled and ever since both of my ankles have felt sore and somewhat stiff (the right one feels much worse). It hurts to rotate/stretch them too much with most of the pain coming from the front outer side (northeast side if that helps more). I did gymnastics for a number of years and my boyfriend said it sounds like I might have worn down the cartilage in my ankle so it’s bone rubbing on bone. Does anyone have any suggestions for this? Does it sound like something else to you? Would compression socks help? I want to continue going on runs ☹️

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    aam_56 wrote: »
    Whenever I start a run the first step on my right foot always causes a sharp pain in my ankle. It usually goes away after the first couple steps. Yesterday it barely dulled and ever since both of my ankles have felt sore and somewhat stiff (the right one feels much worse). It hurts to rotate/stretch them too much with most of the pain coming from the front outer side (northeast side if that helps more). I did gymnastics for a number of years and my boyfriend said it sounds like I might have worn down the cartilage in my ankle so it’s bone rubbing on bone. Does anyone have any suggestions for this? Does it sound like something else to you? Would compression socks help? I want to continue going on runs ☹️

Could be peroneal tendinitis. I have both posterior tibial and peroneal tendinitis, as well as extensor tendinitis in my right foot and running always aggravated that which is why I ultimately took up cycling. Even doing a fair bit of walking can aggravate it at times.
  • aam_56
    aam_56 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    @briscogun I do already have an appointment with my doctor! 😊 I just can’t get in right away due to everything going on in the world (which is completely fine with me, I know others need to be seen more than I do!) I was just hoping for some tips until then if anyone had experienced something similar
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I have pain in my heels/Achilles, so I stretch daily and ice them after runs. The icing really helps with recovery. Maybe do some lower impact activity until you see the doctor?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    If you have compression socks, try them. If it's peroneal tendinitis as suggested, compression will be painful. Ideally try that before you see your doctor, the more info you can give them the better. If it's any kind of tendinitis, ibuprofen is going to be your best friend.

You'll probably want to see a podiatrist.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    PS I how it isn't tendinitis, and I hope you recover quickly
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    @aam_56 No one here can diagnose what's going on with your ankle so you need to see a medical professional. Pain is the precursor to change. Those changes will depend on what the injury dictates. Continuing to run and trying to override the pain won't fix it. Pain is there for a reason. Find out what's going on and make your adjustments.