Some advice please

Options
iojoi
iojoi Posts: 378 Member
I am exercising regular again I alternate a kettle bells workout with aerobic workout and then walking on the days I don’t workout . I am keeping my calories count although I dont consider I am strict dieting but I thought I might lose a few lbs after a month .of the additional workouts .
Any ideas why I might not losing be would be appreciated?
just to say I do feel a bit trimmer which is odd!

Replies

• Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Doesn't sound odd to me. You're exercising and therefore toning up.

You'll only lose weight if you're eating fewer calories than you expend. Also, as you've re-started exercising regularly again, your body is probably hanging on to some water.

If you're only looking to lose a few pounds, your weight loss rate should be set at 0.5lb a week. So, if you're truly in a deficit, you might have lost 2lb in a month but, if your body is hanging on to water, that'll mask any real fat loss. That can take time to disappear.

Are you accurately logging everything you eat and drink? Are you eating the number of calories assigned by MFP plus your exercise calories? Assuming so, re-assess at the 6 week stage and see how you're doing then.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    iojoi wrote: »
    I am keeping my calories count although I dont consider I am strict dieting

Without being accurate, you just won't know. It is what it is.
  • Zimm7
    Zimm7 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    If you're not losing, you're not in a calorie deficit.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    What you're eating and the workouts you are doing is, collectively, resulting in you being at maintenance calories, as your scale is telling you. To lose pounds of fat, you'll have to eat less.

I suggest transitioning to strict calorie counting for a while so you can find out exactly how many calories you're consuming each day, so that you can adjust as needed. Whatever you're eating now, you'll need to eat 500 calories less each day to lose a pound per week, and so on.

When I started dieting and really drilling down on the food weighing/logging, I was stunned and amazed to discover that my actual calorie consumption was a good 400-500 calories per day more than I thought it was. Basically every day!! Weigh everything on a food scale. Don't eat samples of anything while preparing meals. Eliminate ALL non-recorded grazing and ALL cheat/off/casual meals for a while. You really need better data than you have right now. Once you get it all sorted out, then you can re-introduce some flexibility if you need to.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the scale isn’t your best measurement. If you are close to your goal weight, and you feel trimmer, use a tape measure. You may find you are losing inches from your waist without losing pounds.

As stated above, a month isn’t a long time in terms of a slow loss. If you are losing half a pound a week and holding on to a couple extra pounds of water due to new exercise routines, you won’t see the scale move. If you really want to lose weight, tighten up your logging. If you are close to your goal weight and just want to look better, consider recomp.