Very discouraged and frustrated

Options
Hello everyone! I just wanted to get some advice and vent a little. I am a 39 year old female, 5'6", and weigh 195 as of this morning. I started MyFitnessPal two weeks ago, and have been on a 1290 calorie diet. I am moderately active due to what I do for a living. The problem I currently have is that I have gained seven pounds in the past two days! I was down to 188 on Sunday. I know I am not supposed to weigh every day but my OCD says otherwise. How in the world did I gain seven pounds in two days, and how do I re-lose it?

Replies

• MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    You did not gain 7 pounds in 2 days. It is perfectly normal for weight to fluctuate... so what you thought was a loss (to 188) was probably just fluctuations, as is this "gain". Use an app like Libra to give you the big picture on your weight, if the fluctuations are going to cause you to freak out.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Weigh naturally changes up to 10lbs in a day.. it happens. If a gain is going to freak you out you have to find a way not to weigh yourself so often.

It could be sodium, it could be water retention, it could be a lot of things.
  • kristinak48
    kristinak48 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    How much are you working out? Your calories are a bit low if you are exercising a lot. Your body will hold on to those calories instead of burning more if you aren't eating enough, I know that sounds crazy...but it works.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    My weight went up in my first couple weeks of starting too, but it was gone plus some by the end of a month.

Your weight does fluctuate a lot too. Make sure you're weighing yourself at the same time in the morning before you eat anything and after you use the washroom. :)

Above and beyond that, your body is adjusting to your lifestyle changes.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Repeat after me: "I did not gain 7LBS in 2 days". You did not. 7LBS is 24,500 extra calories.

You likely "lost" a few pounds in water in the early days of your dieting. You likely lost a pound or two of actual weight.

Then, you ate a carb heavy meal (and are retaining water) or a salt heavy meal (and are retaining water),
    AND you're either ovulating (and are retaining water) or about to get your period (and are retaining water).

I'm not going to tell you not to weigh every day, because I do, and it works for me.

BUT: I am going to suggest that you "weigh in" (i.e. log your weight as your weight) only once a week.

If you do weigh every day, start to notice things like: how many digits the scale goes up when you ovulate, menstruate, eat sushi, drink wine....all the things that can lead to water retention.
  • CompressedCarbon
    CompressedCarbon Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I agree with MzM. You did not gain that weight. I can weigh myself four times in one morning and can vary as much as five pounds. And that's before I eat. Weigh yourself if you must but know that what you're shooting for is a downward trend over time, not any particular number.

Look at what you're eating, if anything seems out of whack, you can adjust that, but realize you are in this for the long haul and if you keep with it, the weight will leave.

Lisa
  • Adrianachiarato
    Adrianachiarato Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Repeat after me: "I did not gain 7LBS in 2 days". You did not. 7LBS is 24,500 extra calories.

That's right. It's impossible!

Are you close to your period? Water retention can be very high on those days.
  • tripledipped13
    tripledipped13 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the other posts--you did not gain 7 pounds in 2 days---my guess is that it is water weight--I went on vacation a couple of weeks ago and "gained" 4 pounds in 4 days--when I was on vacation I was not watching what I was eating and did not hardly drink any water. I got back home on Sunday--made sure I ate right and drank 10 cups of water a day until Friday--on Friday I had lost 5.5 pounds (4 pounds of it was water weight)....be sure that you are drinking plenty of water! :flowerforyou:
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I was 206 Monday, 201 Tuesday, and 207 today following a 1510 calorie diet that I started at the end of June at 228.

Summary
    Its working I am doing well

Solution
    I know the solution is NOT to give up and go back to bad habits and food choices. So I am going to keep this up, it has been working over time, if I have to take 1 step back to take two forward, its worth it.

Keep the faith, read the Success stories and friend some of them, asking questions
  • DRJ311
    DRJ311 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    PATIENCE...
    Let's be honest here!
    You WON'T drop 2 jean sizes in one day,
    You WON'T lose 50 lbs in one month,
    THERE ARE NO MAGIC PILLS/SECRETS,
    You WILL MISS the occasional workout,
    You ARE going to have bad days,
    Your weight WILL fluctuate UP and DOWN,
    You WILL have a few setbacks,
    YOU ARE HUMAN YOU WILL FAIL SOMETIMES
    Nothing worth acheiving is ever going to be easy or happen right away...
    JUST KEEP GOING!!!!!!!!!
  • katinachaos
    katinachaos Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Don't just rely on the scale. Take pics and measurements, too. That way, when one thing is discouraging you, you can look to another to hopefully encourage you. Also, note your feelings, too. Maybe you're getting less cranky on fewer calories, craving carbs less, able to walk further or take the stairs more easily? There are things more important than the number on the scale, it's about getting healthy, not just getting smaller.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I was 206 Monday, 201 Tuesday, and 207 today following a 1510 calorie diet that I started at the end of June at 228.

Summary
    Its working I am doing well

Solution
    I know the solution is NOT to give up and go back to bad habits and food choices. So I am going to keep this up, it has been working over time, if I have to take 1 step back to take two forward, its worth it.

Keep the faith, read the Success stories and friend some of them, asking questions
    GREAT POST!!!
  • jpolinisse
    jpolinisse Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I thought this section was for people trying to gain weight???

Drink more water, and try not to weigh daily.
  • TINAHUNTER1969
    TINAHUNTER1969 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Well said :)
  • CracyTracy579
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses. First I would like to apologize if this is in the wrong area. I saw "Gaining Weight" and thought it was the area I needed to post in.

Second, I should have given more information. I quit smoking April 23rd, and, instead of gaining weight, I lost weight without trying. I decided a few weeks ago to try to lose more, so the past two weeks were not the initial weight loss. I am moderately active at work due to walking quite a bit, but only recently started exercising. I don't drink, and had a hysterectomy, so I don't retain water for those reasons. However, I had pasta Sunday, but was very careful to measure out my serving to suggested size. Also, I take a diuretic so I didn't think I would retain that much water. I work night shift, so I have difficulty knowing how or when to weigh, how meals fit in, and what effect this has on my body.

I realize there are no miracles, and it will take time. I have been heavy all my life. However, to see the same weight on the scales that was on there when I started was very discouraging.

Thank you all for your posts! I greatly appreciate your input!