Advice on Resistance Bands! Dont brush over please!

LargeEricS
LargeEricS Posts: 109 Member
Hey guys in need of advice here as I'm fairly new. I'm nearing the end of my weight loss goal and I'm finally ready to transition to a good lifting regimen with my gym rat buddy. However, Covid-19. Having said that, as I draw closer to the end of my weight loss I'm starting too look to scrawny for my liking, so I'm thinking I can't any longer till my gym reopens in Michigan. My personal guess not till July. I'm just not that dedicated yet to buy a complete free weight home gym, so I was considering resistance bands. I can do the same moves, and coupled with the dumbells I do have it should hold me till I'm ready for the full on war in the weight room. Any recommendations for a COMPLETE set of resistance bands?? Willing to spend money on a quality as my wife is interested in using them too. She's not into free weights though so to say "a good set will cost you the same as" she won't let me lol

Replies

• dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited May 2020
    My husband ordered a variety of sizes from Amazon. Did you check there?

The Brand names Up&Up and Fit Simplify
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Why resistance bands can be useful withing well written programming (usually as a overload movement used sparingly). I probably just advise to save your money and use the DB's within a well written program. Since you are novel to lifting you won't need a lot of volume to achieve adaptations towards your goal(s).

If DB's are literally too light to drive progress, I would use common household items e.g.,suitcase, five gallon bucket, back pack, to help load your movements more appropriately.

Using things such as tempo and pauses as variations if needed will suffice under your situation.

Good to hear you are planning to resistance train.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    Mike Israetel shares his thoughts on bands v db here, starts @15.46

https://youtu.be/qKysbYvGTpY
  • LargeEricS
    LargeEricS Posts: 109 Member
    The heaviest dumbells I have are 45lbs. Not enough for a complete push/pull type workout. I had started with my buddy before s*** hit the fan this winter, and I know I could easily mimic all movements with bands. I've read you get them up to 100lbs, and or double them up for more. The last time I was at the gym I used 75lbs db's for bench, which I know isn't crazy but they are price to buy.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member
    LargeEricS wrote: »
    The heaviest dumbells I have are 45lbs. Not enough for a complete push/pull type workout. I had started with my buddy before s*** hit the fan this winter, and I know I could easily mimic all movements with bands. I've read you get them up to 100lbs, and or double them up for more. The last time I was at the gym I used 75lbs db's for bench, which I know isn't crazy but they are price to buy.

Don't let perfection get in the way of possible. Adapt and do what you an do for now.
  • Chieflrg

If it's your jam, I wish you good ttaining :smile:

Like I mentioned, tempos, pauses, deficits, etc... would increase the load to a near appropriate dose if creative enough with your programming.
  • Chieflrg
    edited May 2020
    mmapags wrote: »

Don't let perfection get in the way of possible. Adapt and do what you an do for now.

Very good advice. In the scope of long term goals, it really doesn't matter having a few months of off training as long as you are training.