Garmin not accurately tracking indoor cycling

Options
slbbw
slbbw Posts: 329 Member
I have been really happy with the accuracy of my Garmin vivosport tracker until now. I use the indoor aerobics setting. At one point it said my HR was 85 and manual check had it at 170. At least half my 30 min ride this morning was that off. It did start working at one point, but not sure why. My best guess is wrist position. Has anyone had this problem and found a solution. I am finding it is reducing my motivation to do the indoor cycling.

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Wrist heart monitors don't do well on bikes because your wrist bends, and the amount of bend keeps changing during your efforts, which makes it harder to find the right vein and lets light in to the sensor.

Pair it with a chest strap for perfect accuracy every time. If the air is cold and dry, wet the contacts on the strap before you start.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I use a chest strap HRM paired to my Garmin which works well for indoor and outdoor cycling.
    Currently a Wahoo Tickr which I've found better than previous Garmin chest straps.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    I, too, use a chest belt for rowing (where it's 100% necessary for keeping heart rate readings happening reliably) and indoor/outdoor cycling. This is with a Garmin Vivoactive 3 (since replace by VA4, I believe).

If it's visibly slipping down your wrist to a bad position, that's sub-ideal. You may not be able to tighten it without cutting off circulation (dunno), but you could try a stretch wristband below it as a stopgap and see if it helps keep it in place, if slipping is what's happening. If it's staying in place, but losing connection, that's a different matter.

For the bikes I use at my Y for spin classes, a bonus is that the bike will pick up the Ant+ signal from the chest belt, and put HR on the bike monitor. Obviously, that's bike-dependent.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    It is very likely the wrist position while you ride. But before you rush right out and get a chest strap; which Vivosport tracker do you have? Not all of them can be paired with a heart rate monitor.
  • slbbw
    Options
    I have not tried moving it up arm. I will try that Wednesday. I also do not mind using sla different hand position on the bike if that will solve the problem. My current vivo sport does not work with a chest stap. I have an old forerunner 305 with a chest strap I might be able to use at least to check my sanity.
  • slbbw
    Options
    Thanks all for the suggestions. Moving it up arm did the trick. Avg hr 175 is much more indicative of reality.