Overabundance of Eggplant!

Options
KimINfortheWin
KimINfortheWin Posts: 251 Member
My eggplant did amazingly well in my first-ever garden. I have about 8-10 of those right now. My tomatoes, sage, and basil is also out of control.

Are there any good eggplant recipes out there? We're doing grain-free (no wheat but I can make flour substitutions with coconut flours).

What recipe(s) I *do* have already:
Eggplant Parmesan
Baked stuffed eggplant
Sicilian Caponata (sort of like eggplant salsa)
(I'll add to this list for any responses to make it easier for anyone who responds).

Thanks in advance!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Moussaka, toss them with some panko, bake them in slices and use them for sandwiches, ratatouille, eggplant rice balls (arencini? I think they're called), and using them in a salad are the ways that I can think of right away. I love eggplants! It's great as a meat substitute in a lot things too, so experiment while you have them!
  • CorrieJane
    CorrieJane Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Oh oh oh I love eggplant, you should try making Ratatouille!! I am at work now, but when I get home I will post my recipe here for you-you can use some of your tomatoes too!
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Roast it with some olive oil, garlic, and salt. Makes for a great snack.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Bump. I want the ratatouille recipe.

I made an eggplant caserole last week that was pretty good. It was basically just eggplant layered like lasagne and cooked. Tomatoe sauce, eggplant, spinach, mozarella, repeat layers, then a little parmesan on top. Cooked it for about 40 minutes I think. No bread, just vegies and cheese.
  • LCBinGA
    LCBinGA Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    cube it and add to stir-fry
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Pasta alla norma
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Oh ya, I juat added the rest to vegetable soup with a bunch of vegies including eggplant, zuchini and corn. Threw some kale in at the end and some parmesan cheese. Low cal, lots of vegies, and tastes good.
  • KimINfortheWin
    Options
    Moussaka, toss them with some panko, bake them in slices and use them for sandwiches, ratatouille, eggplant rice balls (arencini? I think they're called), and using them in a salad are the ways that I can think of right away. I love eggplants! It's great as a meat substitute in a lot things too, so experiment while you have them!

Eggplant rice balls? Oh, I'll google that. Great suggestions, thanks!
  • KimINfortheWin
    Options
    Oh oh oh I love eggplant, you should try making Ratatouille!! I am at work now, but when I get home I will post my recipe here for you-you can use some of your tomatoes too!

Awesome thanks!!
  • KimINfortheWin
    Options
    Oh ya, I juat added the rest to vegetable soup with a bunch of vegies including eggplant, zuchini and corn. Threw some kale in at the end and some parmesan cheese. Low cal, lots of vegies, and tastes good.

Yes, veggie soup is on that list! Love veggie soup!
  • KimINfortheWin
    Options
    Roast it with some olive oil, garlic, and salt. Makes for a great snack.

I saw a recipe about quartering it and roasting it with salt and lemon juice. I'll have to try this.
  • BalmyD
    BalmyD Posts: 237 Member
    Options

I made an eggplant caserole last week that was pretty good. It was basically just eggplant layered like lasagne and cooked. Tomatoe sauce, eggplant, spinach, mozarella, repeat layers, then a little parmesan on top. Cooked it for about 40 minutes I think. No bread, just vegies and cheese.

My roasted ratatouille

1 large eggplant (peeled and diced)
    4 small or 2 medium zucchini (diced)
    1 large or 2 small red onion (sliced)
    2 cans diced tomatoes (with juice)
    splash of high quality olive oil (1/4 cup?)
    tablespoon of fresh thyme (or more to taste)
    4 cloves of garlic (sliced thin)
    teaspoon salt
    black pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl.
    Roast in a baking dish at 375F for about an hour and ten minutes (keep an eye on it, you want a little browning but not burning). Mix it up once halfway through.

If you put the final product in a crockpot on warm, it'll make the party smell delicious and everyone will ask you for the recipe.
  • joyce0624
    joyce0624 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Bump for recipes!
  • Seoul11
    Seoul11 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Indian eggplant curry. Drooling just thinking of it...
  • yolokindagirl
    yolokindagirl Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Roasted curried vegetables
    Chop eggplant, red bell pepper, onion, zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, sweet potatoes/yam .. whatever veggies you like. drizzle with a little olive oil and rub curry paste all over the veggies. bake at 400 degrees until tender and carmalized. delish

also

Eggplant Gratin - serves 2

Good olive oil
    3/4 pound eggplant, unpeeled, sliced 1/2-inch thick
    1/4 cup ricotta cheese
    1 extra-large egg
    1/4 cup half-and-half
    1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan
    Kosher salt
    Freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 cup good bottled marinara sauce

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Heat about 1/8-inch of olive oil in a very large frying pan over medium heat. When the oil is almost smoking, add several slices of eggplant and cook, turning once, until they are evenly browned on both sides and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Be careful, it splatters! Transfer the cooked eggplant slices to paper towels to drain. Add more oil, heat, and add more eggplant until all the slices are cooked.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together the ricotta, egg, half-and-half, 1/4 cup of the Parmesan, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.

In each of 2 individual gratin dishes, place a layer of eggplant slices, then sprinkle with Parmesan, salt and pepper and spoon 1/2 of the marinara sauce. Next, add a second layer of eggplant, more salt and pepper, half the ricotta mixture, and finally 1 tablespoon of grated Parmesan on top.

Place the gratins on a baking sheet and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the custard sets and the top is browned. Serve warm.
  • yolokindagirl
    yolokindagirl Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    This sandwich is pretty good! You can add chicken breast if you don't want only veggies

Grilled Vegetable & Goat Cheese Sandwiches - serves 4

1/2 cup olive oil
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and finely chopped
    1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon leaves
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    2 zucchini, ends trimmed and discarded, sliced lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick pieces
    2 Japanese eggplants, ends trimmed and discarded, sliced lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick pieces
    1 (12 1/2-ounce) baguette, sliced in 1/2 lengthwise
    1 cup (6 1/2 ounces) goat cheese, at room temperature
    1 1/2 cups baby spinach

Place a grill pan over medium-high heat or preheat a gas or charcoal grill.

In a small bowl, mix together the olive oil, garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, basil, tarragon, thyme, salt, and pepper. Place 2 tablespoons of the mixture in a medium bowl. Add the zucchini and eggplant and toss until coated. Place the vegetables on the grill pan or grill and cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side until tender. While the vegetables are cooking, spread the olive oil mixture on the baguette halves. Using a spatula spread the goat cheese over the olive oil mixture. Place the cooked vegetables on the bottom half of the baguette. Arrange the spinach on top of the vegetables. Place the top half of the baguette over the filling.
  • creech6317
    creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
  • KimINfortheWin
    Options

My roasted ratatouille

1 large eggplant (peeled and diced)
    4 small or 2 medium zucchini (diced)
    1 large or 2 small red onion (sliced)
    2 cans diced tomatoes (with juice)
    splash of high quality olive oil (1/4 cup?)
    tablespoon of fresh thyme (or more to taste)
    4 cloves of garlic (sliced thin)
    teaspoon salt
    black pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl.
    Roast in a baking dish at 375F for about an hour and ten minutes (keep an eye on it, you want a little browning but not burning). Mix it up once halfway through.

If you put the final product in a crockpot on warm, it'll make the party smell delicious and everyone will ask you for the recipe.

YUMMM!!! Thanks!
  • KimINfortheWin
    Options

Excellent. Thank you.
  • healthyKYgirl
    healthyKYgirl Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Baked Eggplant Fries
    (cut in strips, toss with Olive Oil and salt, Bake/Broil)