Protein Shakes?

baylsjem
baylsjem Posts: 13 Member
I have a hard time with the flavors in protein bars and shakes. But I really should try to be more accustomed to the taste.

What brands or recipes do you use that don’t have the strong taste? I’ve heard a lot about Clean Simple Eats.

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I do plain unflavoured whey then add my own flavours to it since I can't tolerate sweeteners (I prefer Optimum Nutrition Gold standard)
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Maybe it would be easier to rely on food for your protein needs and not do shakes or bars at all.

I like a Special K bar and I have been using unflavored Revly to try some baking experiments. I seldom need to supplement protein though. The bars help me when I can't get to a kitchen when I need some calories or I have too many calories left and do not feel like fixing more.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    I use Muscle Milk and Premier Protein (cafe latte or caramel) shakes in my black coffee in the morning as creamer to get some extra protein.
  • baylsjem
    baylsjem Posts: 13 Member
    Thanks guys. I’m actually prepping for bariatric surgery. I have to have a certain level of protein intake. But I’ll be on liquid/soft foods for a while. Shakes will be a huge help for me. So I’m starting early to get my body used them!
  • mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12
    mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12 Posts: 204 Member
    I like nature’s garden pea protein shake, my favorite is chocolate but vanilla and fudge are nice too. I’m vegan so I don’t know about dairy based ones.

I found I had to try a few different brands before I found one that I liked. Using ice cold water to mix is important for me. Hope that helps, good luck with the surgery.
  • kimikats
    kimikats Posts: 529 Member
    The only one that I've found that I like without that "protein taste" is Syntrax Matrix. So far I've had the chocolate and vanilla. I prefer the chocolate, but the vanilla was good too. I am SO picky with my protein shakes because I just can't stand that taste haha.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00402R9U8
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    I would see if you can p pick up samples. Different protein powders have significantly different taste. I love the texture of PEScience and Quest Nutrition. I also found that you can add things to it (i.e., fruit, cocoa powder, etc..,) that will hide the taste.
  • ChrissyChickie
    ChrissyChickie Posts: 182 Member
    baylsjem wrote: »
    Thanks guys. I’m actually prepping for bariatric surgery. I have to have a certain level of protein intake. But I’ll be on liquid/soft foods for a while. Shakes will be a huge help for me. So I’m starting early to get my body used them!

Hi. I was thinking of going the sleeve route myself and was looking over everything and see you have to do a pre-diet. So my thinking was... if I can just loose weight doing their 'pre-diet'... maybe I should just do that for a couple days each week. My insurance doesn't cover this so, I'm trying to think about this.
  • MichelleMcKeeRN
    MichelleMcKeeRN Posts: 450 Member
    So I will confess, I regularly drink Optimum Nutrition shakes. That being said, I think Whole Foods are the best choice. If you don’t like shakes, maybe you can just have chicken and veggies for the meal instead. Going on a liquid diet will be hard without shakes though.... Maybe soups?
  • MichelleMcKeeRN
    MichelleMcKeeRN Posts: 450 Member
    I do like cold coffee, milk, ice cubes and a scoop of Optimum Nutrition Protein powder (vanilla or chocolate) blended together....
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    @baylsjem I've had several relatives who've opted for WLS. Their dietitian gave them a list of foods and amounts.
    You might try Bariatric Advantage protein drinks or Bariatric Fusion, Bariatric Pal, Bariatric Direct.

https://primesurgicare.com/dos-and-donts-of-protein-drinks-for-bariatric-patients/
  • JossalynAlbert
    JossalynAlbert Posts: 1 Member
    I am also in a program for bariatric surgery; I had the chocolate premier protein shakes today- they weren't horrible but about halfway through became harder for me to drink. I think this was due to the texture of them rather than the flavor. Tomorrow I'm trying the chocolate quest shakes, and then thursday i'm trying the cookies & cream premier protein!
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Pure Protein bars are great: nice flavors, lots of protein bang for your calorie buck, the most affordable I can find, and I don’t taste any of that chalky protein taste
  • mullanphylane
    mullanphylane Posts: 172 Member
    I prefer the "tasteless" shake powders because I make 'em taste the way I want. Peanut butter powder is an excellent additive, but Hershey's cocoa powder is fantastic. If more sweetness is wanted, a touch of Stevia works fine.

Or blend in some berries or fruit.
  • dawnkirkwood18
    dawnkirkwood18 Posts: 41 Member
    I drink coffee with two scoops of premier protein vanilla every morning as my breakfast.