Feeling Low :-(

Options
I found out on June 4th that my job (along with others in my office) is being eliminated. We were all given 90 days to get our things in order and train someone else to do our jobs. At first I was ok with it thinking I would find another job fairly quickly (I always did and as an admin, there are always positions out there). So far, no luck and my time is almost up. I have a child, mortgage, bills, etc....and now I am fearful that I will unemployed for some ridiculous length of time since this job market is the worst its been in decades. With that comes depression and for me, weight gain.

My friends and family keep telling me to keep my chin up, stay positive, etc...not so easy to do when you're in debt, have all of those bills, a child, etc... My husband is a great bread winner but it just isn't enough in my eyes. I cannot just sit at home, get fat and be ok with it. This is all just a vicious circle in my head and feeling lower than I have in a long time. I don't want to vent on facebook since friends/family will be all over that.

I just need to let it out somewhere and feel that maybe this is the right place since I know I cant be the only one going through this type of situation.

Replies

• Syriene
    Syriene Posts: 238
    Options
    Sorry this is happening. :( If you haven't already, broaden your search to things other than admin. I am sure there are other things you are qualified for and maybe you will surprise yourself by enjoying it more. I am currently in a career that is far from what I was originally doing, but I had to step out of my comfort zone and try something else. It was scary at first, but I am glad I did.
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    You need to be in control of your life. The fact that people are emotional eaters is something an individual can learn to change.

I would feel depressed and stressed, too, if my job was being eliminated. Even more so that I am single, live alone, and support myself. it could be worse. at least your husband has a job. I know that doesnt change your employment status and how you feel however, it also doesnt have to change your weight. The job situation you cant control, you can control what goes in your mouth.

Dont let your emotions dictate the food you consume. it will only make you feel worse. Be strong, stay in control. If you cant manage this now, then it is unlikely you will have longterm success with your weightloss in the future. We all have to change our habits and lifestyle to succeed. Start now.
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    About 2 years ago my entire department was let go and it turned out to be the best thing ever for me. I was the bread-winner, making double what my husband was making...so yeah, our income was cut by two-thirds. I went back to school for something I love, I've lost 55 pounds since then, I'm in the best shape of my life, and things are really great.

The vast majority of my coworkers got jobs within 6 months and we live in Illinois where the job market is BAD.

My advice would be to make a daily schedule to keep yourself busy. In that period where I've got no school or work, I can get very depressed also, because I feel like I've got no purpose to my day. So the night before I make a schedule for the next day. For some reason if it's on the schedule, I do it. It helps keep my habits healthy.

Things won't be so bad, I promise! :-)
  • srrose15
    srrose15 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I am going to message you - there are some great options out there that you can do with your time and help others as well - i have been through the same situation 3 different times and my husband just recently quit his job to go into real estate full time - I rather not blast my story on a forum so I will message you privately