Fueling for Distance Running

Options
2»

Replies

• speyerj
    speyerj Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    So regarding how I calculate the deficit- I have a FitBit HR which I keep current with my weight and which adds calories to my budget. I usually eat back between 50 to 75% of my exercise calories. I'm eating roughly 35% Carb ,35% fat, 30% protein. I definitely am well hydrated. I'm a huge fan of water, drinking at least 130 oz/day if not more.

And regarding my Saturday runs - the first time I went out for a 9 miler, it was about 45 minutes after breakfast - which was a protein shake with frozen fruit - (32 g carbs, 34 g protein,, 3 g. fat). I was able to run the entire time, felt exhausted, but exhilarated and able to recover after a big lunch when I got back home. The second week I went out to do it again, thinking it would be easier. Same course, cooler weather. I started later about 2 hours after a big breakfast of french toast (53 g carbs, 18 g. protein, 7 g. fat). My legs burned the last 2 miles. I had to walk some hills on the way back. I finished shaky and spent.

My take away is that my body needs to adjust. Running 9+ miles is significantly different than running 7 or less - at least to me right now. 9 could become the new 5 one day, but not right now. And I probably need to make sure I have enough fuel to last runs that go longer than 90 minutes if I'd like to not be completely wiped for the rest of the day. That either means fueling better before or during the run.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    In both of your meal examples you're getting 120ish and 200ish calories from carbs (1 g carbs = 4 cal) the protein shake with the frozen fruit probably contained more simple carbs that are available fairly quickly. Most endurance athletes that I know tend to eat 50 to 60% of their calories from carbs, you may find that adjusting your macros helps.
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    You might want to see what your iron & ferritin levels are doing as hard exercise can deplete these. Low stores can result in fatigue as blood oxygen is reduced.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    Also, if you drink too much water (i.e. your pee is clear) you may be diluting the electrolytes in your blood. Look up hyponatremia.