Why don’t water filled Olympic plates exist?

Options
As the title says why don’t water filled Olympic weights exist. At the moment even second hand plates are going for £4 per kilo. Water or sand filled plates would be cheaper to make cheaper to transport post etc. But they don’t seem to exist and I was wondering why. I got a quote this week for water jet cut 20mm steel plates it was £47 for a 10kg plate. I’ve made concrete plates before but they tend to break and look ugly as hell.

Replies

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    Because 50lbs of water is about 6 gallons. That’s a lot of space and Won’t fit on a bar very well. Packing 100 pounds of water on the bar would be like adding a person (size wise).

Sand is better but still quite a bit larger than iron for the same weight.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    2020 is the Year of the Side Hustle so go on and invent some workable solutions @lawright1125. I have a Dimok aquabag (a sandbag alternative) so you've got one potential client in Canada at least lol
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    I've got a very large collection of Olympic bumper plates in my garage gym and bought four vintage 45# (20kg) iron plates a few yrs ago to for about $1/# (on ave) to use on a sled (the mast on the sled was too short to hold enough bumper plates; iron plates are denser and thinner wc allowed loading the sled w/more wt) and was recently surprised to discover that the asking price for the iron plates has doubled and tripled in local ads.

The bumper plates aren't cheap either but I don"t think their cost has risen as much. Looks like I have quite valuable collection of full sized Olympic plates which total about 1280# (and that doesn't even include the other micro to 5# plates) on my hands.

Better tell my executor so she doesn't toss them out or give them away when I pass.

LOL!

Anyway, nothing IMO will ever surpass steel or bumper plates for lifting at the Olympic level. If there were, ai 'm duresoneone would have invented it already.

I recall from long ago that there were and probably still are some 1 inch bar plates that you could fill w/water or sand but those plates were much smaller than Olympic plates and obviously would not be heavy enough to use to do any serious lifting with