Daily Weighers ONLY- Please :)

Options

Replies

• autumn_skye
    autumn_skye Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I weight myself every day, first thing in the morning ( after I've gone to the bathroom and before I've had anything to drink). My weight also fluctuates throughout the day and daily. For example, two nights ago I went out and had a few drinks. I was still within my calories for the day, but I still gained 1.2 lbs from the day before. I know this likely from the alcohol. The next day I weighed myself and I was down 1.7 lbs. So, I consider my true weight to be an average of a few days weigh-ins. If I only weigh myself once a week and happens to be a "heavier" day, then I get more discouraged. Its a little obsessive, but it works for me
  • tootoop224
    tootoop224 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you need a new scale! A few months ago I replaced a "top quality" WW scale that was giving me different readings 5 minutes apart with a $30 EatSmart scale. Best investment I ever made. Consistent readings again and again.
    I probably shouldn't even mention this, but... When I got sick of my old scale giving different readings every time I stepped on and off in 5 second increments, I got a new one.I was ecstatic that the reading on my new scale was "rock solid", no matter how many times I stepped on and off. Then I figured out that the scale was "programmed" to detect that the same person was weighing again (based on the time between weighing and the proximity of the two measurements) and would just show the same weight. Now, I will weigh once, step off, hold a towel in my hand, step back on, read 1+ lbs. hight=er, put the towel down, and then some times get a different reading than the original. It generally doesn't vary by more than .6 or .8 lbs., and I'll take the average.
  • linnakat
    linnakat Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm a daily weigh-er as well. I record my weight each morning in an app on my phone called Libra and it keeps a running trend. The daily numbers are good for keeping myself on track, but the trend is the number that counts and that's the number I log here (when I log it -- I was doing well and then moved house and am trying to get back on track).
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    I weigh daily and pretend that the world will end if I weigh more than 130lbs for more than 24 hours. I may be silly, but I am also at my goal weight, so :tongue: to anyone who tells me I'm doing it wrong.
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    What exactly did you expect? What type of answers do you want?

You should know better!
  • tootoop224
    Options
    I actually feel like you should either weight in very infrequently (a few weeks in between) or once daily (in the morning before eating or drinking). This is my case for it:

Your weight varies every day based on factors like water consumption, sodium consumption, constipation, etc. If you weigh in daily, you will be more likely to notice that pattern and see the overall trend of your weight (if you weigh in down five days of the week and only way up two, you can be confident you are actually down.) Since your weight can easily vary a few pounds in a given day and healthy weight loss only involves losing a pound or two per week, if you check in just once weekly, you could end up not seeing a change because one week you weigh in on a day that is low in these retention factors and the next week you weigh in on a day that is high in these retention factors. Fluctuations can erase the entire pound or two you lost that week with respect to the scale.

Now, if you weigh in more like every few weeks, at that point you should be able to lose enough that you will still see a loss, even if you had some fluctuation factors.
    Exactly. I like seeing that daily number so the normal upticks don't bother me. I would worry that a weekly weigh in would be on my heaviest day of the week, and would be demotivating.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i used to have severe obesession with weighing, when i was really bad with my eating disorder. i have gone almost 2 months now without weighing, as part of my recovery so i would not see the numbers go up at first when my body was adjusting to a higer intake.
    i didn't throw the scale out because i didn't want to have to lie to my fiance and say it broke or something, since he doesn't know anything about what has been going on with me.
    it is really hard to break and it took me a long time, but every day i would go to the bathroom and tell myself no, do not get on that damn scale if you know what's good for you. i broke out of it though, and have not had the compulsive behavior with weighing anymore. it definitely is hard to break and in a way it is good to see daily what is going on, but seeing the fluctuations definitely does not help ones mental state nor is it a good indicator of how your progress really is. try and cut down to just weighing daily initally at first and cut out the mid day weighs. then get yourself to every other day, then less than that until you can get yourself at once a week or less. best of luck! if you really have to, throw out that damn scale.
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    If it happens again...

Pick up something(s) heavy - like 10 pounds or more, weigh yourself again...this resets the scale.

Set it down and weigh again. All should be well.

Some electronic scales have a memory feature for people that get on and off several times...it locks in the last weight for a minute or two unless it get's reset. That way a cheap scale can look more accurate.
  • tootoop224
    Options
    I weigh daily and pretend that the world will end if I weigh more than 130lbs for more than 24 hours. I may be silly, but I am also at my goal weight, so :tongue: to anyone who tells me I'm doing it wrong.
    Keep up the good work. For the sake of the World!!!!:laugh:
  • Kittyvicious1
    Kittyvicious1 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    My scale and I love hate each other. I tell it leave me alone and he calls me every morning.
  • HefferSprint
    HefferSprint Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily too. I have a special tile that it needs to be on. The bad tile gives a mean reading.

If I don't like the number, I'll hang onto my closet door and gently let go of the door.
  • rterry1968
    rterry1968 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I to am a daily (or more) weigher!! First thing in the morning and then I write the number down on a log that's hanging in my bathroom. I'm a visual person -- i need to see the numbers go down even if it's only .1 of a pound. If it doesn't go down i leave it off my log, it's what keeps me going to see it go down. I record at least once if not twice on MFP, again it's a visual thing and i like to see the numbers go down. Weekends are hard, so Monday is always a cross your fingers kind of weigh in. I also will weigh myself at night before bed in hopes that it will be very close to the morning weight knowing that in the morning it will be better :) it's fun to guess and see how close I can get. I feel as though weighing in at least once a day keeps me accountable -- if it goes up then I pay close attention to what made it happen and vice versa.
  • beckademic
    beckademic Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm mostly a weekly weigher.....when i wakeup, after the bathroom, before the shower. I weigh myself until I get the exact same reading(digital) 3 times in a row. or if i weigh 4 times and 3 of them are the same...i will take that one. Sometimes I weigh myself throughout the week but just out of curiosity and I don't record it. Good luck getting off of the daily weigh-in!!
  • takerbrat
    takerbrat Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    On July 1, 2013 my son and I started a challenge . . . over the next 6 months I am going to lose 46 lbs (about 2 lbs/week) and he is going to try to save 15% of his gross pay. He is a personal trainer (and a bodybuilder) so he has set up my program which is based on several variables - eating to specific macros, a specific # of resistance or weight training sessions/week, a specific # of HIIT (high intensity interval training), and a specific # of moderate cardio sessions. I record my daily weight and actual macros and send these to my son weekly. Based on what he sees my weight doing is adjusts one or more variables. When I started I was clinically obese, I am now overweight but quickly becoming a healthier, happier version of me. If anyone is interested in our story, checkout MFP blog - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/takerbrat/view/welcome-547950 and since I can't figure out how to post photos on the blog we have a Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/TeamDontMessWithTheMommaPage
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I weigh and record every morning. This shows me my daily, weekly and monthly fluctuations. It keeps me on track. Because I know my loses differ depending on my point in my monthly cycle, I know why my loss this or next week may be lower, even when following my plan. Because I know this, my motivation stays high and I don't get as discouraged in the 1-2 'slow' weeks a month.

So daily weighing helps me. Need to say though, that the trend line in my excel chart (weight and measurements) is the important one for me, not the daily ups and downs.
  • mckelfam
    mckelfam Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I too check my weight daily, right after going to the bathroom when I wake up. I don't record on MFP each day, only on Monday's.

I get worried when I have gained, makes me realize that I need to watch what I am eating and if possible work harder to exercise. Bad part is if I see a nice lose, I go into a mode that my body thinks its okay to eat whatever I guess. Which can be really bad. So there are good and bad reasons to weigh in daily.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I weigh most days, but it hasn't become an unhealthy obsession for me. I pretty much roll with the fluctuations. To be honest, I think if I had actual scales and didn't have to go through the process of setting up my Wii Fit board every time, I would probably weigh throughout the day, and that could easily become a problem for me. The solution for you? Get a Wii. ;)
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Hey all. The closer I get to my goal the crazier I get with weighing in. I used to be able to do once a week, but now I am pretty much every day. I'm working towards every other day & then back to once a week, but because about about 10lbs away from my goal weight I'm pretty excited.
    There are pros & cons to weighing in daily & I know that. My weight will flucuate daily, even hourly! And that can be kind of discouraging to see on the scale. Weighing in once a week or more will be more exciting when you're able to see bigger numbers & the scale going down!! But I feel like I keep myself accountable with what I eat by weighing in daily & seeing how it affects (effects??) my weight.

With that being said...I could have thrown my scale against the WALL this morning! I used the restroom & weighed in. I was SO EXCITED it said 155.2!!!! And because I thought this is too good to be true I double checked it. 155.4, then 155.4 again. Still a loss from the previous days. I should also note, I need to tape an X on my floor & STOP MOVING THE SCALE. I went about my business & then my dumb a** decided to check again! Man oh man, I was not doing well this morning. The scale went up a few more times from 157.2 at the highest & then 156.2 a few times.

I REALLY don't need judgements right now, I am aware that I should have weighed once, maybe twice this morning, & then finished getting ready for work. I think I'm just trying to vent & see if anyone else has a problem like this.

I only have this problem when the batteries get low in my scale. Try replacing them. I burn through batteries faster using the scale daily. Using it weekly or so would put much less burden on the batteries.
  • melissaka7
    melissaka7 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I only have this problem when the batteries get low in my scale. Try replacing them. I burn through batteries faster using the scale daily. Using it weekly or so would put much less burden on the batteries.

Batteries were just replaced.
  • VeeSis
    VeeSis Posts: 23
    Options
    I weight twice a day, and doesn't bother me at all. A long time ago my doctor told me that we lose most of our weight during the night while we sleep (hence, the caveat to make sure one gets the proper amount of sleep at night), providing our metabolism is working right. I weigh each night right before bed, and yes I know it' higher, but I also know that it will be anywhere from .5 to 2 lbs lower in the morning when I first wake up. Scales fluctuate, so it does not alarm me at all on any given day. It's only the once a week weight that I am concerned about and post.