Fitbit Inspire vs. Versa 2 vs. Versa Lite- not sure what to upgrade to

Options
I posted this in the fitbit group a few days ago and didn't get any responses, so hoping I'll get some bites here...

My trusty Alta seems to be having charging issues and I'm guessing I'll need to replace it soon. I use my fitbit every day/walking is my main exercise so I want to know ahead of time what to get so I can replace right away.

I'm fine with the alta's basic features, and it seems the inspire is the "new alta." I also like the lower price point. However, I really like the look of the versa and I figure if I'm going to wear it every day that's important. The smartwatch look seems to be a lot more stylish than a tracker band.

OTOH I'm a little nervous about the heart rate tracker part. I was part of MFP back in the day when polar heart rate monitors were all the rage for exercise, and there was always a ton of discussion about how they were really only accurate for steady state cardio. I remember people would often have the "new idea" to wear one all day long to find their TDEE and people were always quick to say they weren't accurate for that. Also many discussions about how the only accurate ones included the chest strap, not just the wrist monitor. So how is this different? If you naturally have a faster pulse, won't you be getting an inaccurate calorie burn? However the alta tracks (without heart rate) seems to be pretty accurate for me.

The other weird thing was that when comparing on the fibit website I was looking at the versa vs. versa lite, and in the comparison chart it says only the versa tracks "all day calorie burn." That can't be right? Even my alta tells me how many calories I've burned for the day. Are they referring to something different?

Any advice?

Replies

• fstrickl
    fstrickl Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Hey - did you ever get any feedback on this? I have had an Alta HR since whenever it first came out. It's done me well! But I think it's time for a new fitbit. I'm thinking about the Charge 4 or Versa 2. I am leaning towards the Charge 4 because I doubt I will use any of the smartwatch features of the Versa 2 and like the idea of my tracker letting me know when I'm in different heart rate zones (fat burn, cardio, peak). I also think the HR monitor is not solid, I suspect mine is low, but I do like it for a general idea.

Anyway, what did you end up getting and are you liking it?
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I had the Alta HR previously, but switched to Inspire HR about a month ago. Before the Alta HR I had Charge HR for a couple of years.

I'm apparently a special unicorn because the heart rate tracking and resulting TDEE seems to be pretty accurate for me. Seems to be - as in I tend to lose what my cico math predicts when I base the calories out part on what my Fitbit says. I admit I haven't re-checked the math lately, but I also haven't been frustrated by accurate logging and scale not moving.

The biggest motivator for choosing Inspire HR was that it doesn't look like a smartwatch and it's skinnier/less clunky than the Alta HR. I bought a metallic wristband for my tracker so it looks a lot more like an actual ladies' watch than a traditional fitness tracker with the silicone strap. I had trouble sleeping with the Alta HR (I sleep on my stomach and turn a lot), but the Inspire HR is skinny enough for me to sleep with.

The other option I considered was the Apple Watch, but I realized I don't actually want a smartwatch, I want a fitness tracker that I can wear 24/7 but still "unplug" from the rest of the world if I want to. Smartwatches also feel a little too clunky for my taste, but that's just personal preference.
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    fstrickl wrote: »
    Hey - did you ever get any feedback on this? I have had an Alta HR since whenever it first came out. It's done me well! But I think it's time for a new fitbit. I'm thinking about the Charge 4 or Versa 2. I am leaning towards the Charge 4 because I doubt I will use any of the smartwatch features of the Versa 2 and like the idea of my tracker letting me know when I'm in different heart rate zones (fat burn, cardio, peak). I also think the HR monitor is not solid, I suspect mine is low, but I do like it for a general idea.

If you look in the fitbit group there are a few responses. I actually didn't end up getting anything. I figured out that the issue is that when my fitbit says it's around 30-35% battery life, it dies very quickly soon after. As long as I don't let it get that low in the first place, I don't have any issues. I've solved the problem right now by charging it about every other day just to make sure the battery life stays up there. Since it charges up so quickly it's really no big deal at all.

I've also heard that if you contact fitbit after yours dies even if it's out of warranty, they'll give you between a 25-40% off coupon for a new one. So I'm going to try that when it actually dies, or possibly see if this one holds out until Black Friday. I bet they have huge deals then.

I did some research just to see what I want to get next and I'm pretty sure I'll go with the Versa Lite. It has the look I want and is a bit cheaper than the Versa 2. The Versa 2 has a few extra features, such as being able to put some songs on it and being able to communicate with Alexa. I don't see those being important enough to me to pay the extra money (I think it's $50 more than the Lite, if I'm remembering correctly). I would never go out on a walk without my phone anyway, and my phone would have those features already.
  • fstrickl
    Options
    hipari wrote: »
    I had the Alta HR previously, but switched to Inspire HR about a month ago. Before the Alta HR I had Charge HR for a couple of years.

I'm apparently a special unicorn because the heart rate tracking and resulting TDEE seems to be pretty accurate for me. Seems to be - as in I tend to lose what my cico math predicts when I base the calories out part on what my Fitbit says. I admit I haven't re-checked the math lately, but I also haven't been frustrated by accurate logging and scale not moving.

The biggest motivator for choosing Inspire HR was that it doesn't look like a smartwatch and it's skinnier/less clunky than the Alta HR. I bought a metallic wristband for my tracker so it looks a lot more like an actual ladies' watch than a traditional fitness tracker with the silicone strap. I had trouble sleeping with the Alta HR (I sleep on my stomach and turn a lot), but the Inspire HR is skinny enough for me to sleep with.

The other option I considered was the Apple Watch, but I realized I don't actually want a smartwatch, I want a fitness tracker that I can wear 24/7 but still "unplug" from the rest of the world if I want to. Smartwatches also feel a little too clunky for my taste, but that's just personal preference.

Glad you are a special unicorn! Haha.

I get what you mean about unplugging. That’s part of why I’m not looking at the Versa. I don’t need the smartwatch part of it. Thanks for your input!
  • fstrickl
    Options
    fstrickl wrote: »

If you look in the fitbit group there are a few responses. I actually didn't end up getting anything. I figured out that the issue is that when my fitbit says it's around 30-35% battery life, it dies very quickly soon after. As long as I don't let it get that low in the first place, I don't have any issues. I've solved the problem right now by charging it about every other day just to make sure the battery life stays up there. Since it charges up so quickly it's really no big deal at all.

I've also heard that if you contact fitbit after yours dies even if it's out of warranty, they'll give you between a 25-40% off coupon for a new one. So I'm going to try that when it actually dies, or possibly see if this one holds out until Black Friday. I bet they have huge deals then.

I did some research just to see what I want to get next and I'm pretty sure I'll go with the Versa Lite. It has the look I want and is a bit cheaper than the Versa 2. The Versa 2 has a few extra features, such as being able to put some songs on it and being able to communicate with Alexa. I don't see those being important enough to me to pay the extra money (I think it's $50 more than the Lite, if I'm remembering correctly). I would never go out on a walk without my phone anyway, and my phone would have those features already.

Thanks for replying! Glad you found a solution for now. I’ve had decent customer service from Fitbit when my band broke. 20-40% off is a decent discount! May your Fitbit last till Black Friday.
  • tayl09
    tayl09 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    In case anyone needs input i do have the versa 2 and love it. Battery easily lasts for 3 to 5 days depending on use. I bought it over the lite bc i got the rose gold with blue straps ans liked the color. I wanted the color to be something i like so i do wear it daily, which i have for several months.

Aa far as features i wanted one i could read texts due to work i cant use my phone and sometimes would get urgent messages. I also use the timer for work a lot. I havent used alta or inspire i upgraded from charge HR.

Let me know if you have any versa 2 questions!
  • RockingWithLJ
    RockingWithLJ Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Lol a garmin. Fitbit is nothing but problems. Every. Single. One. Ive. Tried