Following programme putting on weight!

Options
I’m a 55 year old woman who used to workout regular until I hit 40 and had to stop for various reasons. I was lucky in that I never any weight problems and never had to diet. Now I’m menopausal it’s a different story! I’ve put on nearly a stone above my comfortable weight so I decided to do something about it before it was too late. Started using this app a week ago. Set my daily calories as suggested (although the amount I can eat doesn’t seem much different to what I was having before but healthier). I have also started on some exercise, walking 8km daily, plank every morning (was doing this before) and 5 core/abdomen exercises every other day. So far I have not lost any weight. Shouldn’t I have lost at least a few ounces by now?

Replies

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,464 Member
    Options
    No loss coupled with a new exercise program is a common complaint here. The short answer is it’s water retention. Newly stressed muscles retain water. Even walking will do it if you’re just starting out.

Don’t see where you mentioned using a food scale to crunch the numbers. It can make a significant difference.

Give it more time. Make a plan and try to sick with it 4-6 weeks. Then start making small adjustments as needed. There’s a fairly long learning curve. The time issue wrecks a lot of people. Don’t be one of them.
  • KrissFlavored
    KrissFlavored Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    At only a week your expectations are too high, people dont lose every week and as mentioned above water retention is up and down constantly and has the ability to mask loss.