Need help to break a spitting habit...

Options
Sounds weird, I know, but I am a spitter during exercise. I think I always have been? As is my dad. I remember my boyfriend (now husband) coming to see me play soccer in high school and commenting “That’s my girl!” when I subconsciously spit during the game. Gross I know, but not a huge deal before since I did all my running outside... but now with COVID I am really self conscious about it. Thing is, I can’t swallow my spit! My throat gets really dry and my saliva thickens up and it’s darn near impossible without gagging. I chew gum sometimes, but as I increase mileage I find it being an issue as well. I have sensory issues which I know is likely a leading factor. I can’t really drink while running, even a small swallow of water causes a side stitch, and rinsing and spitting like I would occasionally do is counter intuitive to the goal. Any other ideas or options?

Replies

• SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Take a small tie handle plastic bag with you, maybe with some damp kitchen paper inside, to spit into?
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    So, thank you for acknowledging your issue and the fact that overly sensitive people like me give one of these 👀 regarding your habit.

Tbh though is it really that serious?

As long as - for the love of all things holy, good, and pure - you're not spitting directly at people, then people like me should calm down about it...a bit 🤣😂
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    So, thank you for acknowledging your issue and the fact that overly sensitive people like me give one of these 👀 regarding your habit.

Tbh though is it really that serious?

As long as - for the love of all things holy, good, and pure - you're not spitting directly at people, then people like me should calm down about it...a bit 🤣😂
    I wouldn’t say serious, but truly I am physically unable to swallow my spit without issues when I am running and have always been slightly self conscious of it, but given the current “environment” I know I need to figure something else out. I definitely don’t spit at people, or at all if/when anyone else is around, and try to time it to be able to spit into the woods or grassy ditch...

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    My reference to seriousness was directed at people like me, not people like you 😮💦

lol

In short, don't worry about it too much 🤷🏿‍♀️ especially considering you're being mindful and it's a biological need for you in these scenarios.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    My nose always runs when I exercise so I carry a bandana tucked into my running gear belt. You can get a six pack for cheap and they're very durable. I'm thinking that if it can handle the significant amount of snot I generate (seriously, I have to blow my nose every mile) then maybe you could use one to spit into?

Also, yes, it is gross but no grosser than snot or blisters or runner's stomach or the thousand other gross things about our habit. We're just a disgusting bunch of people. ;)
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Maybe carry an empty water/coke bottle with you (like people that dip do) and just spit into that??