Lockdown blues (UK Based)

Hi all, I am really struggling! I am afraid that I got a bad case of the lockdown blues and have been massively over eating and have gained A LOT of weight. I am desperate to get it off but the gym is closed for the forseeable (till July at the very earliest) and as such I am struggling to shift it. I have taken up running outside (which I hate to be honest but needs must) but I am just not feeling that I have the tools to shift the weight at the minute. Any assistance would be greatly received.

Replies

• Formenow12
    Formenow12 Posts: 9 Member
    I have the same problem. Last week I got my 18 year old bike fixed i joined up yesterday and i ordered workout leggings. when they come I start bike riding 5 to six days a week.
  • rosammr
    rosammr Posts: 43 Member
    Same here! after months of not caring I saw my weight in the scales yesterday and nearly had a heart attack! Today I'm here to get the ball rolling, get some accountability buddies, get motivation / inspiration and start the journey.
  • Numer1ca
    Numer1ca Posts: 247 Member
    Gah, I want to work this morning (I do accounting at a school. I get my mail for 15 to 30 minutes in the mornings before anyone else comes in. We are at a skeleton crew) and saw myself in the reflection on the door. Wow!
    I actually turned it around about 4 days ago. Now the hard work begins.
  • Chris144mph
    Chris144mph Posts: 66 Member
    Before lock down I was running on the treadmill every day... Then my sons college was closed & hubby was furloughed.
    I haven't used the treadmill since.
    It sounds silly but I get really anxious when people know I'm on it! I really don't know why but having them at home is really putting me off! The idea of running outside is a big no for me too. I've been working in the garden & been carrying on with my physio stretches but even though my foods have been under, because of the lack of exercise my weight is stuck!
    Why can't I get over the idea of exercise when someone else is in the house!
  • chrisssiex23x
    chrisssiex23x Posts: 431 Member
    Ditto. Me too. Really struggling. Changed jobs just before lockdown from being really active. To having 1 day a week. No what I signed up for. Love the job though just not enough hours. Find myself eating alot more through boredom.

I had posted before but the app took me back to my main page. My comment never went
  • thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    Hi all, I am really struggling! I am afraid that I got a bad case of the lockdown blues and have been massively over eating and have gained A LOT of weight. I am desperate to get it off but the gym is closed for the forseeable (till July at the very earliest) and as such I am struggling to shift it. I have taken up running outside (which I hate to be honest but needs must) but I am just not feeling that I have the tools to shift the weight at the minute. Any assistance would be greatly received.

I can relate to this - I was in the same place a month ago. I ordered as many takeaways as possible before they closed down (although they have started to reopen now) and I ate whatever I wanted. It got to the point where I stood on the scales and thought to myself I had let myself go too far.

A month on, I have lost the lockdown weight. I haven't been exercising at all (I normally would), so I've shifted nearly a stone just through diet. I promise, it is possible. You're on this site, so you do have the tools to shift the weight.

Update your weight and your goals and stick to your new target. If you log accurately and honestly, you can shake the weight in the same time it took you to gain it. The secret is two words: portion control. But you knew that anyway, given you say you're been over eating.

I like to plan ahead what I'm going to eat for a day, then update it as I go, to make sure it's accurate. By budgeting for calories later, it stops me from over-eating, as I know the consequence would be going hungry later, and I need to spread my allowance sensibly!

You can lose weight through food alone, so if you're not enjoying running, you could switch to walking to keep up your general fitness and mobility.

I'm rooting for you, I really am.