Carb heavy diet

Can you still lose weight on a carb rich diet? I am staying within my calories. But when ever I look at my nutrition chart, it always looks carb heavy, usually about 60%, is that too much??

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    As long as you are in a calorie deficit you will lose weight.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    I eat 60% carbs. Day most days with no issues
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,730 Member
    Calories determine weight, especially in the short run.

Nutrition is important for health, so it's a good idea to get a certain minimum of protein and healthy fats (plus plenty of varied, colorful veggies and fruits for micronutrients and fiber).

As long as you're getting enough protein and fats and micros/fiber, getting a high percentage or absolute gram number of carbs shouldn't be a problem from a nutrition standpoint.

And again, the calories determine weight. (In the long term, poor nutrition can result in appetite/cravings, so make it harder to stick to a sensible calorie goal. Or, poor nutrition can cause fatigue, which tends to result in reduced exercise performance, plus doing less in daily life, so lower calorie expenditure. Either of those can indirectly affect weight loss.)

I ate around 150g of carbs most days while losing weight, and now usually 200g+ daily in maintenance. I'm not sure what percentage that is, without looking it up, because I literally ignore my carb level, and just try to hit my personal minimums for protein, fats, and veggie/fruit servings.