Runtastic Accuracy

Options
I love that I can synch Runtastic with MFP, but does anyone have any idea how accurate it is?
Yesterday I walked at a 3mph pace and burned more calories than I did today walking at a 4mph pace.
That can't be correct can it?
Because it synchs with MFP, I can't even look to see what MFP would calculate for calories burned...feeling a little frustrated.
However, I'll go with the lesser amount and if I'm burning more, good for me, right?!

Replies

• Maalea
    Maalea Posts: 16,119 Member
    Options
    Runtastic is (unfortunately) far from accurate when it comes to calorie counting. It only takes the time spent into account (at least for walking and hiking, these are the things I tried), and not the distance or speed (and the heart rate is also ignored).

For me, it gave me 300 cals for one hour walking - whether it was 1 km or 10.

I have tried several apps, and now I am using Runkeeper. I would like that it had more indoor sports available (like Endomondo offers, but Endomondo overestimates the calories by far), but for me it gives the most sensible calorie burn. And it syncy with MFP, too.

If you find a better alternative yet, would you let me know?
  • Maalea
    Maalea Posts: 16,119 Member
    Options
    With the latest update Runkeeper added many new workout types to the app, indoor activities like Pilates and so on. Now it is perfect for me and I would definitely recommend it :-)
  • kijoneko
    kijoneko Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I find Runtastic pretty accurate for my activities. It calculates about 30 calories over what MFP does. My heart rate monitor calculates calories burned somewhere inbetween both but usually closer to Runtastic.
    You can edit your calorie burn after it has exported to your MFP diary if you want though.