Need to break vicious cycle

Options
So, I lose like 5 lbs, or see a loss of any kind, get excited, give myself a break, eat, gain, repeat! How do I keep the positives going? HELP!

Replies

• leahkathleen13
    leahkathleen13 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    So so so much in a similar situation. I’m trying to use visualization to see myself at goal weight that way small successes will be perceived as moving in the right direction. As soon as I break the momentum it’s hard to get started again. I’ve started using positive affirmations and “talking to my body,” techniques. I notice a big difference in my adherence when I begin my day with the affirmations. For example.... I am so happy now that I have achieved my goal of......, and wouldn’t it be nice if I suddenly realized that I can simply tell myself that I can effortlessly reach my goal and then I find that I can?” Or... “I always find a way to work out because it makes me feel fantastic.” “I crave only healthy food.” Sounds crazy I know, but I swear it’s been helping and when I stop, I fall off. Just keep going and keep trying! This technique is great for the mental focus. Diet and exercise are essential course but it all begins in the mind.

I keep a list in my phone and read it as I drink coffee.
  • podperson1
    podperson1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Have def been there! From personal experience, a few things to maybe consider. Are you being too restrictive with your current plan? I have been on so many on and off diets over the years and have realised that 'banning' myself from having things I want only makes me crave them more. So now if I want pizza, or a slice of cake, or some chocolate, then I'm allowed it, I just work it into my calories rather than feeling guilty or going on a binge. This might mean it takes me longer to lose the weight but I need something that I can stick to long term.

Also, I know that I did (and still do sometimes, it's a habit I'm trying to break!) see food as a 'reward' - and a lot of us have this built into us from childhood. I know I've previously done the 'yay, I lost weight so I'll reward myself with all the things I cut out to lose it and put it all back on again'. I find something that's helped me some is trying to find non-food related 'rewards' to have instead. Obviously these will be personal for you some of mine might be a new book, manicure/new nail polish/face mask, trip to the cinema (maybe not at the moment lol) - you get the idea.