Leg Pain

Options
Hello! I've been doing morning yoga for about 25 days, an evening workout 5 days a week, and stretch before and after workouts. During yoga and my workouts, I get a sharp pain running down the back of my leg. It starts at the top of my hip/middle of my butt, and goes down the bottom of my calf. It only happens when I'm doing lunges or certain yoga moves.

Does anyone know what this is?! It doesn't feel like a muscle thing, but a nerve thing. Does anyone have any advice for this?!

Replies

• Killakee
    Killakee Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hello love!

Sounds to me like you have a sciatic nerve impingement. This is often remedied with certain stretches that can be found online, or getting a referred to your local physical/occupational therapist or chiropractor. It’s a very common issue, and can often be aggravated when performing specific movements/positions. Hope this helps, and I hope you feel better soon!
  • sweet116061
    sweet116061 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Killakee wrote: »
    Hello love!

Sounds to me like you have a sciatic nerve impingement. This is often remedied with certain stretches that can be found online, or getting a referred to your local physical/occupational therapist or chiropractor. It’s a very common issue, and can often be aggravated when performing specific movements/positions. Hope this helps, and I hope you feel better soon!

Hello!

Thank you so much for your reply! I thought it was my sciatica nerve too. I had issues during my pregnancy. I’ve tried stretching it with no luck. It’s usually in my left leg, but sometimes, it’s in my right. I might just have to bite the bullet and go to the doctor.

Thank you ☺️
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Hello love!

Not necessarily, it could also be Pirifomis Syndrome where the muscle inflames and grabs onto the underlying sciatic nerve.

Look into self administered trigger point therapy for the Pirifomis and glute minimus/medius.

I have treated clients who were told there was nothing to help them as it was from L4/L5 sciatic impingement at 19 years of age. Trigger point therapy cured them within 3 weeks.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,466 Member
    Options
    Have a lock at flossing the sciatic nerve/hamstring. These are movements where you feel the nerve a bit, but don't go too deep into the stretch. One such stretch would be to lay on your back, one leg flat on the ground, the other angled at the knee and upwards. Then flex foot, bring lower leg in line with thigh, relax food, bring lower leg down again. Repeat 10-15 times on each side. Only use an angle where you feel a very mild stretch, but nothing more. Warming up properly and foamrolling might be a good idea to 'wake up the nerve'. Then do your normal yoga/stretching routine afterwards. Or not.
  • sweet116061
    Options
    Hello love!

Not necessarily, it could also be Pirifomis Syndrome where the muscle inflames and grabs onto the underlying sciatic nerve.

Look into self administered trigger point therapy for the Pirifomis and glute minimus/medius.

I have treated clients who were told there was nothing to help them as it was from L4/L5 sciatic impingement at 19 years of age. Trigger point therapy cured them within 3 weeks.

You are the second person to tell me this! I'm going to make an appointment with a physical therapist about it. I've never had this issue and over the years, I've done many workout routines. Thank you for the info!
  • sweet116061
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Have a lock at flossing the sciatic nerve/hamstring. These are movements where you feel the nerve a bit, but don't go too deep into the stretch. One such stretch would be to lay on your back, one leg flat on the ground, the other angled at the knee and upwards. Then flex foot, bring lower leg in line with thigh, relax food, bring lower leg down again. Repeat 10-15 times on each side. Only use an angle where you feel a very mild stretch, but nothing more. Warming up properly and foamrolling might be a good idea to 'wake up the nerve'. Then do your normal yoga/stretching routine afterwards. Or not.

Thank you for the info! I'm going to do this today before my yoga! I hope it helps!