MFP’s Carbs vs. Total Carbs

anon125
anon125 Posts: 1 Member
Does MFP’s “Carbs” tracking count the Total Carbs, and then break out Fiber as a subset of the carbs? Or does it count only “net” carbs under Carbs, and Carbs + Fiber gives me Total Carbs? I am doing low-carb/keto (<50 gm net carbs/day) and have assumed MFP “Carbs” provides the total carbs number, but want to make sure I am hitting my marks. Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    MFP doesn't do net carbs because this is an international site. Internationally, many entries are already net carb, but those entered using U.S. foods labels would not be.

2 options - change your settings to include tracking fiber. Then subtract that number in your head. It's simple math. Another option would be to search out entries that are net carb, or create your own net carb entries.
  • mydogisthebestdogever
    mydogisthebestdogever Posts: 703 Member
    Yeah, if you're doing Keto, don't look at MFP carb count because it will be much higher. Such is the case with avocados, MFP will give the total carb count of 13 but I only log 4 of those carbs because I subtracted the 9 grams of fiber.
    I have to keep a notebook on the countertop to add and subtract and count carbs.
    The Carb Manager app was not working for me. It was very confusing and had too many inaccuracies and I hated it.
  • Melampus
    Melampus Posts: 95 Member
    Reading TeaBea's post wouldn't it be more accurate to say that MyFitnesspal is inconsistent rather than that it doesn't do net carbs? I don't doubt it's true that the software doesn't make any adjustment for fibre but what that means in practice is that whether fibre is included in the carbs figure for any particular food depends on the source of the database entry. If is a US FDA entry fibre will be included in the carbs figure and if it is a user-entered entry from a food label, especially in Europe, it is likely to be already net.

One option would be to stick to one kind of database entry or the other but that might be a bit constraining.