Anyone Got Back On Their Bike (after a long break) or Started Cycling During Lockdown?

Options

Replies

• AlanKmfp
    AlanKmfp Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Second June ride done:

Sun 7/6 22.32 miles
    Wed 11/6 10.51 miles

Total: 32.83 miles
    Remaining to Goal: 67.17 miles
  • dewit
    dewit Posts: 1,468 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I used to bike commute for over a year. About 9 miles one way. Started off with 2 days/week and ended up biking also on snowy windy days or pouring rain. Interestingly enough, I would still do video workouts at work, I felt so energetic! What I loved about 🚴‍♀️-commuting would be that I invested almost no extra time in it ("stealing" family time, in addition to being a working mum).

I then switched jobs and now have roughly 3 miles. Luckily all nature (at most 1 traffic light, depending on the route). Sometimes I variate and make it a tad longer. Still little, but now in the summer I take every opportunity to travel by 🚴‍♀️ everywhere (shopping, taking the kids to their trainings, when they take place ofc!, even dr's appt!).

I love to go on bike tours with the kids. Right now only exploring our area of course, but still fortunate enough to have a few lakes in the surroundings. 😍

Feel free to add me! I get easily motivated by example 😀 and we could set goals and see how it goes (I'm in a few challenges here already and I don't bike enough miles at the moment to be "competitive", so I'll keep away from that for now).

Have fun 🚴‍♀️ing!
  • GetHeroFit
    GetHeroFit Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I bought a hybrid bike to commute with, but have never done it. I really need to get back on and riding and look into riding to work now that the daylight works better...
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    When the bike bug bites it bites hard. I've been cycling for around 6 years or something. I use it for everything, I ended riding so much I got rid of my car too. I come from a running background but wanted something more low-impact, so the bike was only natural. Speaking of impact, just wear your helmet too, you prolly do but it can be sketchy as hell. The longest I took off was probably around 4 months after being hit by a car and breaking my patella. I get a be loco without my time in the saddle.

Chapeu!

I don't give a rip about my car.

If (when) it dies on the side of the freeway, I could easily get by with just my bike(s), and if I need to travel any longer distance or if the weather is unbearable, there's Lyft.
  • KristieJC
    KristieJC Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I’ve had a bike for several years that I used only when we went camping (RV camping). But I’ve just started riding regularly the past few weeks cause I’m newly motivated to lose weight and am limited cause of foot surgery late last year. My daughter and I ride nearly every day, at least m 5 miles. Today I did 10.34! A new high. I’m not able to send friend request. Friend me!
  • KristieJC
    Options
    Also, I recently learned about the existence of padded bike shorts. I had no idea. They are a life saver! Or rather a butt saver.
  • KristieJC
    Options
    kasey39 wrote: »
    I was really embarrassed about having to stop to rest a couple times on only a 5 mile ride, but it still felt so good...and so much more enjoyable than even thinking about running! Hoping to keep back with it - I've really missed it, and really, really need this weight off!!
  • KristieJC
    Options
    No reason to be embarrassed. When I see someone overweight who’s walking or cycling or whatever, I think that it’s great that they’re working at it. And you don’t go from zero exercise to a marathon in one workout. You’ve got to gradually ramp up your exercise. Of course this is coming from someone who is only 10 pounds into a 60 pound weight loss goal, so I totally understand how you feel. I’m sure people see me and think “look at the fat lady on the bike” but I’m going to keep riding.
  • AlanKmfp
    AlanKmfp Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    KristieJC wrote: »
    I’ve had a bike for several years that I used only when we went camping (RV camping). But I’ve just started riding regularly the past few weeks cause I’m newly motivated to lose weight and am limited cause of foot surgery late last year. My daughter and I ride nearly every day, at least m 5 miles. Today I did 10.34! A new high. I’m not able to send friend request. Friend me!

Excellent, well done, hope you can carry on enjoying it.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Also, I recently learned about the existence of padded bike shorts. I had no idea. They are a life saver! Or rather a butt saver.

Yes. and chamois creme or A&D ointment helps too.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    No reason to be embarrassed. When I see someone overweight who’s walking or cycling or whatever, I think that it’s great that they’re working at it. And you don’t go from zero exercise to a marathon in one workout. You’ve got to gradually ramp up your exercise. Of course this is coming from someone who is only 10 pounds into a 60 pound weight loss goal, so I totally understand how you feel. I’m sure people see me and think “look at the fat lady on the bike” but I’m going to keep riding.

... and I'm the fat old guy on the bike. And, I'm keeping on riding, too!
  • mjbnj0001
    edited June 2020
    Options
    kasey39 wrote: »
    I was really embarrassed about having to stop to rest a couple times on only a 5 mile ride, but it still felt so good...and so much more enjoyable than even thinking about running! Hoping to keep back with it - I've really missed it, and really, really need this weight off!!

I got out yesterday for my first ride since strict lockdown descended on us here in NJ in March. It was a modest ride compared to my previous efforts, but it has been 90 days off the bike, so I am not surprised. Since I came back into cycling a couple of years ago after decades away, I've learned that ride conditioning is a gradual process. At first, frankly, a mile was a big deal. Now I'm riding everywhere (or was until covid-19). As a result, I know it'll come back through repetition. BTW, I'm down between 70 and 80 lbs from max (been varying a bit in lockdown), with more to go.

Pic is yesterday, on my ride, at one of the public access points on my peninsula to the estuary ("river") which runs out to the ocean a couple of miles away. Now that I've broken the barrier, I'll be out and about again. With prudence, of course, being susceptible with several underlying predisposing conditions.

Good luck on our riding, too!

f9tgsjalhhmd.jpg
  • dewit
    dewit Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    @Machka9 : I want to hug you, like your post and admit it's so inspirational - all these at once! 🌻 Happy to be your pal, never knew about hubs, sorry to hear about how much you've being going through 🤗. You're strong and truly inspirational by example 👍. Thank you so much❣
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    dewit wrote: »
    @Machka9 : I want to hug you, like your post and admit it's so inspirational - all these at once! 🌻 Happy to be your pal, never knew about hubs, sorry to hear about how much you've being going through 🤗. You're strong and truly inspirational by example 👍. Thank you so much❣

Thank you! :heart: {{hug}}
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    @Machka9 - what a story to tell <3 thank you for sharing!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    Our most recent ride! June 14 ...

Sunday -- winter's afternoon ride ...

Distance: 16.40km
    Elevation: 91m 
    Moving Time: 1:02:17
    Elapsed Time: 1:03:48 
    Speed: Avg: 15.8km/h Max: 43.6km/h
    Calories:    252

​​​​​
    x2z69ci3z30p.png

kfnuqmskv136.png
  • mjbnj0001
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Our most recent ride! June 14 ...

from this and previous posts, looks like a pretty country.
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,314 Member
    Options
    I raced 5 years ago, then got sick. I put on a bunch of weight, ugh. Not good for cycling, especially in WV.

I'm just getting back into it and the rebuild sucks, but it will be worth it soon enough. Feeling the wind in your face is freeing. I did 20 miles with the club Tuesday and I had to walk a hill I have NEVER EVER walked before. Such is the life of restarting at a much heavier weight...

Best of luck. Feel free to add me. -Nikki