Tdee and caliries

boofle2
boofle2 Posts: 18 Member
Hi, I am 5 foot 2 10 st 6 and age 63. I want to get to around 9st 7. My tdee is 1609. If I reduce my calories by 500 to lose one pound per week, is 1109 calories not too low please. I have put myself as lightly active as I do 3 x 30 mins per week Rosemary Conley dvd, 4 x 15 mins per week all over body exercise from you tube.Any advice much appreciated .

Replies

• boofle2
    Thank you I have done this it gives me 1200 calories. Should I also eat back my exercise calories on top of this ? Thank you
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    boofle2 wrote: »
    Thank you I have done this it gives me 1200 calories. Should I also eat back my exercise calories on top of this ? Thank you

Yes, mfp is designed for you to eat back your exercise calories.
  • boofle2
    Thank you
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    boofle2 wrote: »

Well, if you set your MFP activity level based on what you do in daily life not including the exercise, you should eat your exercise back. Pretty sure MFP's going to give you 1200 in either case, though. :)

With relatively little to lose**, a pound a week is probably the fastest you'd want to go, if even that (0.5lb/week might be better), so I think you'll be fine.

** For other USA-ians like me with the different brain wiring, or the kg-ites, I think she's currently at 146lbs/66.4kg, aiming for 133lbs/60.5kg, so about 13 pounds/6kg total loss.

@boofle2, I'm around your age (64) and near your goal weight (128-point-something pounds, around 9st 2 or 58kg, this morning), but taller at 5'5"; I lost 50-some pounds here a few years back. I think some things we have going for us at our age is some patience, and a knowledge of how to use our own inclinations/personality to get things done, so I think you're on a good track here.

I won't speak for you in this next thing, but I'd say I personally am not as resilient (quick to recover from physical stress) as I was when I was 20, even though I'm strong and active now. Slow and steady is a good, sustainable plan for most anyone, but I think even moreso for me at my current stage. I've been losing a few vanity pounds over the past few months, averaging 0.5lb/week or less, and that's been remarkably easy/painless: Down about 10 pounds since October, really not even breaking stride.

Wishing you much success!
  • boofle2
    Thank you very much, i get all confused with whether to eat back exercise or not, just have to plod on xx