Exercised but lost calories burned on the app?

Options
OAS5
OAS5 Posts: 376 Member
Ok so today I went out for a walk/jog for a good 45 minutes and I took somewhere around 6,600 steps on this walk. The app. Calculated 300+ calories burned. I then went for another walk to hit my 10,000 steps and I think I'm at some 11,000 steps. Now the app says I burned 120 calories. Now this is all guestimates and arbitrary but why would it go down after doing more exercise? It's always done this but just curious if anyone knows why?

Replies

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,225 Member
    Options
    Do you have a tracker linked to mfp?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Did you log the first walk as a workout at some point?

What's your MFP App setting for Step Source - what are you using?
  • OAS5
    Options
    MFP is linked to my Google fitness. Everything transfer from there to here. It's very strange why I lost calories doing more exercise.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Because you had a workout that got logged.

Here's simple way to look at it.

Say it appears from only steps that you burned 300 calories more than you were expected to get anyway from your selected activity level.

Ok - you get 300 cal adjustment in Exercise database.

base eating goal say 1500 + 300 adj = 1800 new eating goal, same deficit to what you burned.

But now Google Fit sends a workout over for that 300 calories.
    That has to be taken from the adjustment or you'd be counting it twice.
    But now you got more steps in, and get 120 more calories.

base eating goal 1500 + 300 workout + 120 adj = 1920 new eating goal - same deficit.
  • OAS5
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Because you had a workout that got logged.

Here's simple way to look at it.

Say it appears from only steps that you burned 300 calories more than you were expected to get anyway from your selected activity level.

Ok - you get 300 cal adjustment in Exercise database.

base eating goal say 1500 + 300 adj = 1800 new eating goal, same deficit to what you burned.

But now Google Fit sends a workout over for that 300 calories.
    That has to be taken from the adjustment or you'd be counting it twice.
    But now you got more steps in, and get 120 more calories.

base eating goal 1500 + 300 workout + 120 adj = 1920 new eating goal - same deficit.

Ah ok, I didn't know that is how it's calculated. Very interesting, thanks for the explanation. Now I know.