Loose Skin: Does taking collagen help?

Options
I picked up a bottle of Super Collagen+C to help with some muscle/tendon issues I was having. It also states on the bottle that it helps build strength and flexibility of skin. I have close to 100 pounds to lose, am older, and have concerns over ending up with lots of loose skin. (I know we should lose weight slowly, build muscle, age comes into play, etc., but thought if anything else will help a bit…

Anyone use Collagen to help prevent and nourish skin during weight loss?

Thanks!

Replies

• twingirls05
    Options
    I'd be interested in seeing the responses to this. I would doubt any kind of pill would help with that. If it did, you'd probably hear more about it.

Good luck on your weight loss journey!!! I lost 102 lbs (260 lbs to 158 lbs) about 5-6 years ago (and then I went on to have 3 kids in 3 years)...so I'm well aware of the loose skin on my body. I've come to accept it b/c there isn't much else I can do about it.
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I take collegen (the nails / hair / skin mixture) to help keep from burning badly - being fair skinned sucks. They claim it aids in rebuilding elasticity from what I've read but honestly I don't know and can't say whether it will help me (or maybe it has helped me and I'm not aware) in that area. All I know I don't is that I don't burn like I did prior to taking this stuff. I am interested to know this answer as well as I'm not a young pup and my skin has been stretched for sooooooo many years. :flowerforyou:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    please elaborate on the burn prevention !

I am what my mom calls critically caucasian, I glow in the dark! If there is something out there that can help protect my skin, I am SO interested! Does it just prevent burns or is it protection as well from the UV? meaning, do I still have to wear sunscreen?
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    The only thing that helps is time. Muscles can fill out some of the loose skin, but there are limits. It's not going to do anything for your tummy either.

I plan to get Plastic Surgery at some point in my life to lop off what doesn't recede by itself. However, it's a low priority for me, since I look great in street clothes, so it may never happen. Maybe the PS Fairy will visit me and give me $20000-30000 just for PS. :laugh:
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know more about the burn prevention too. My husband burns on a in the shade in a matter of minutes! It may help him.

Thanks for the input. I know even if I end up with loose skin, it is worth it for my health. Right now I am so close to getting out of the obese zone. I just can hardly wait to be just "over weight"!