Mind-body /integrated exercise programs - yoga, qi gong, tai chi, martial arts etc

Options
Luciicul
Luciicul Posts: 415 Member
If you are committed to a traditional mind-body practice (such as yoga, qi gong, tai chi, or martial arts), are all your exercise/health needs met through it, or do you still need to do other types of exercise too?

My goal is to have a regular exercise habit that ensures good health. This year that has involved daily exercise, different types of exercise on different days - running, yoga, walking, and bodyweight HIIT (I use the 7 minute workout app) - thinking this is a good range of aerobic, strength, flexibility, balance, breathwork, indoor & outdoor, etc.

Importantly, what I've been doing so far is "sustainable" - exercises I can do regardless of location, weather, what else is going on in life, not requiring too much effort. I am not someone who "likes" exercise, so its essential I simplify things to be able to "just do it", make it habitual, and not set myself big goals that need lots of "motivation" that I'm likely to sooner or later fail.

However, while I have 'variety,' it feels a little disjointed and like I am going through the motions... I am wondering if mastering a mind-body practice, which was developed holistically to achieve good health (and has been practised for thousands of years) could be the next evolution.

BTW the way I practice yoga at the moment is a bit superficial and ad hoc - doing it like an exercise routine rather than working towards mastery (really understanding it) - I know there is far more to it if I focused on it.

Of mind-body practices, Yoga is what I am most familiar with (albeit, at a superficial level); this past week I've done some qi gong every day (really liking it), many years ago I dabbled in Aikido (which I liked but had trouble learning how to roll/fall and it hurt), and I've tried on and off to learn/practice meditation and mindfulness.

What has been your experience of mind-body practices, and do you do other things alongside them?