Trying to eat more vegetables!

Options
PuggleMama33
PuggleMama33 Posts: 23 Member
I am trying to eat more vegetables, can you please post your vegetable recipes or snack recipes that are your favorites using vegetables. Any and all ideas appreciated! Thanks

Replies

• lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Vegetables are still hard for me to "enjoy"
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Here is a day that sneaks in vegetables all over the place:

Breakfast - scrambled eggs with mushroom and tomato.
    Snack - celery or carrot sticks with humous
    Lunch - salad made with spinach, red pepper, cucumber, and olives - add feta cheese or tuna for protein.
    Afternoon snack - salsa on crackers or rice cakes
    Dinner - lean meat or fish with cauliflower, leeks or brocoli in a cheese sauce, sweet potato wedges.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I kind of gave up on making them taste good so alls I do is sit on the kitchen floor shoving raw veggies down my trap, tears streaming down my face. It's for the greater good.
  • chell53
    chell53 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Bump! I need vegetables, started putting them in my smoothie!
  • StripedSmoker
    StripedSmoker Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Try eating salads; here are my usual, super quick recipes:

Paprika, tomato, cucumber with dill, pepper, salt and a bit of oil
    Tomato, cucumber with a bit of sour cream, pepper and salt
    Lettuce, tomato, olives, feta with a bit of oil, salt, pepper and oregano

Just shove some veggies together in a bowl and season- enjoy! It's that easy. A salad does not need to be something extravagant, but when I feel hot and need something refreshing I would always pick a salad over soda or ice cream... Maybe I'm blessed with veggie-liking? Well, I've been eating them all my life, thus I think: Just start with it, maybe force yourself at first and discover that they aren't your enemy.
  • seancojr
    Options
    Here is a day that sneaks in vegetables all over the place:

Breakfast - scrambled eggs with mushroom and tomato.
    Snack - celery or carrot sticks with humous
    Lunch - salad made with spinach, red pepper, cucumber, and olives - add feta cheese or tuna for protein.
    Afternoon snack - salsa on crackers or rice cakes
    Dinner - lean meat or fish with cauliflower, leeks or brocoli in a cheese sauce, sweet potato wedges.

I love the list and most of the food ingredients sound delicious.
  • Maritimer1
    Maritimer1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I find soups are a great way to eat veggies. I often throw in whatever vegetables I have in the fridge with some miso or vegetable broth. I always have a can of (no salt added) tomatoes on hand.. I'm a fan of Tabasco or cayanne pepper. Puts up the metabolism and burns more calories. Hint for flavour: add a couple of tablespoons of apple juice or a couple of shakes of worcestershire cause. Gives it that something. Freeze what's leftover and you have an easy meal and a quick veggie boost when you need it. Hope this helps :)
  • melaniecheeks
    Options
    OdesAngel cant tell if serious or not.

If you are, that's really really sad. Good nutritious food shouldn't be a bad experience.
  • aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Stir-fry, get the veggies hot but keep them from getting soggy.
  • melr01
    melr01 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I kind of gave up on making them taste good so alls I do is sit on the kitchen floor shoving raw veggies down my trap, tears streaming down my face. It's for the greater good.

Too funny! But I can relate
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I make a salad a few times a week that has thinly sliced cucumber and tomatoes with a dressing made with a little mayonnaise, red wine vinegar, salt, pepper, and dill weed. Yummy.
  • Livin4me1969
    Livin4me1969 Posts: 745 Member
    Options

LMAO!! I know this feeling I hate them too
  • melaniecheeks
    Options
    Really? All vegetables? You've tried all 200 odd varieties, in all the different ways they can be cooked? You dont like pickles? Or olives? Or fried onions?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Really? All vegetables? You've tried all 200 odd varieties, in all the different ways they can be cooked? You dont like pickles? Or olives? Or fried onions?

^This!

There are veggies I liked cooked one way ..... but dislike another way. Example: to me, canned carrots are absolutely nasty, and frozen carrots.... I can take (when they are cut in small pieces). But give me fresh cooked carrots with butter & pepper...... yum. Parsnips.....even more YUM.

Cauliflower tossed with olive oil and garlic .......roasted in the oven.

Asparagus tossed with olive oil & soy sauce ..... grilled

Mash potatoes & cauliflower together. Cauliflower is so bland you can "hide" it in many things.

It's so worth it to find a couple veggies you like.
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    As a person who eats lots and lots of vegetables..there are loads of ways to get your "5 a day", a portion of just 80g of a fruit or veg (not potatoes) counts.

Stir fry
    Vegetable pasta
    Couscous with vegetables
    Homemade soup
    Cauliflower mash
    Roasted veg (parsnips/carrots/aubergines/red peppers etc)
    Make a veggie burger

Here's 1371 recipies for you http://allrecipes.com/recipes/side-dish/vegetables/

Good luck, let me know if you want some of my recipes.

Here's a pic of my lunch from today

971167_10151576198720488_1796957199_n.jpg

Veg power!!!! :drinker:
  • blanphere
    blanphere Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda lazy when it comes to my veg. I stop at the grocery pretty much every morning and grab pre-made salads that are all measured out for me...dressing and toppings included! I add protein and either fruit and always more carrots - can't get enough of those! I also like frozen stir fry veggies (Birdseye Ultimate Stir Fry is awesome) adding little bits of whatever is left over in the crisper to the pan. We eat chicken or fish stir fry almost every night (me without the rice and the sirracha!) There are always left overs for lunch the next day too! Looking for ideas to get more veg into my breakfast. I don't do shakes or eggs. I do have miso soup with tofu for breakfast a lot, so maybe adding something in as someone mentioned above. Yay Veg!
  • GeminiFitness1
    GeminiFitness1 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    you can make broccoli with a Italian dressing sauce or a honey mustard sauce. You can also cook it in garlic and olive oil with a touch of garlic salt
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    v8 fussion
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Roast them tossed in some oil
    Stir fry them with a little oil, garlic and soya sauce
    Boil them in chicken stock
    Bake them with tomato sauce and some grated cheese
    Salads
    Eat them with dips
  • svsl0928
    svsl0928 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    My favs are two egg veggie omelette ( spinach, red and green peppers, onions and tomatoes) and a smoothie for lunch. The veggies used are spinach, kale, carrots and tomatoes with banana and pineapple or strawberries. .