Getting steps in

Options
Samm471
Samm471 Posts: 432 Member
What is the main reason everyone wants to hit their step goal? I see a lot of people aiming for so many steps a day and personal trainers encouraging clients to get their steps in but what is the main reason for this and why is it mostly 10k steps a day? I know obviously it’s so that your moving and burning calories but what is so important about getting those steps in everyday?

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,114 Member
    Options
    I think it's not so much about calories as it is about having an active and healthy lifestyle, since many of us are too sedentary to begin with. Although I will admit I don't mind the extra calories :wink:
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I think I vaguely recall reading somewhere that while there’s nothing super magical about 10k steps a day, people who get at least that number of steps are “healthier” overall (weight, blood pressure, cholesterol, body fat, blood sugar, movement, risk of cardiac events/stroke, less things like low back pain, need for joint replacements, etc).

That’s not saying if you get 10k steps a day you’ll be immortal and have no health problems nor is it saying that people who take fewer steps can’t also have some (or all) of the same positive health markers. Just that people who do get 10k+ steps tend to be healthier than those who don’t.

And like the above-it’s very much about living an active lifestyle.

And in my case, my step goal is 1 step more than whatever my brother did that day.