Sad reality.

Options

Replies

• joyanna2016
    joyanna2016 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    What kind of job do you have?

Administrative assistant at school...but home right now.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Isn't this why so many people on here recommend diet breaks, where you eat at maintenance for a couple of weeks, every so often?

As a short, sedentary, overweight female, my maintenance figure wasn't particularly high (certainly under 1500), even when I started on MFP, so my deficit was quite small throughout the whole time I was losing weight. As such, I never felt deprived or the need to have a break, but I can totally understand why people do need it and why it's good for your state of mind.

And I'll also happily go over my calories, once in a while, and not worry about it. It took me two years to get to where I am now and a meal out with friends, or few glasses of wine because I feel like it, is not going to suddenly add 17kg back on overnight. I just don't do it every day.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »
    Igfrie, I’ve followed your story and posts with interest, but I gotta disagree with you for a moment.

I’m afraid the moment I start to consider it a “slog”, I’ll take the wrong fork in the road.

You have to think of it as a permanent change, and be willing to open yourself up to other opportunities and more creativity. You have to make sure you have options that you enjoy and that you’re flexible enough with it to make the most of them.

I’m not good at explaining this, but for example, I just started a new batch of beef jerky and automatically put the last of the old batch in today’s diary. I also have a slice of going-stale kefir cake left that needs to be eaten up.

I realized I’m way over on protein per today’s (pre-filled) diary, but low on carbs like usual, so I pulled the jerky, replaces it with the bit of leftover cake, along with a squirt of cream and 3 grams of shredded coconut. Fairly close to an even swap for the jerky, which will wait.

I will probably sub something else later in the day so I can have a cucumber and a couple tablespoons of homemade lebnah that are calling my name.

By giving myself constant opportunity to change, I’m trying to replace the “slog” aspect of it with the “hey, that sounds tasty and is still acceptable”.

It’s a mind game, a puzzle, a challenge, a reward system all rolled into one.

I know that’s how a lot of folks do it here, but simply replacing the word “slog”, drudgery, boredom or similar with “opportunity” keeps it fresh for me. Word have meaning, even if we only say them in our heads.

You keep on doing what works for you, though. You’ve done wonderfully and are a sincerely great and encouraging asset to this group!

I do know what you're saying, and in a (significant) way I agree with it. If a diet is just a "slog" that you have to struggle through the muck every day, it's only a matter of time before it implodes. So the challenge is to "bake in" new habits that are comfortable forever, and also to be creative so the diet fare doesn't get tedious, sowing the seeds of rebellion. I do agree 100 % with that. I've also mostly done that, in one very important way - I realized early on in the game that I was just not going to be one of the "I used to eat processed crap but now I love kale more than m&m's!" people. I'm just not, and staring into the mirror and realizing that I need hyperpalatable junky food not for 5 % of my diet as treats but like 30 % as a core element of my daily fare helped me reorganize things early on so that I could stay committed to it for weight loss and later. And I'm pretty comfortable with my routine and the foods I eat - I feel like I could drive this the remaining 50 pounds and then into maintenance.

But ...

What I mean by "slog" is: Friends call up and want to go to Cheesecake Factory for dinner. Early in my diet, I would check the calories online, realize that any worthwhile entree there was my entire day's allotment of calories, and suggest an alternative. Then I would scour the menu at the alternative place in advance online, nail down exactly what I could eat, try to move things around between appetizer and entree so I could squeeze in one glass of wine, basically starve myself all day to free up the calories, and then go out and rigorously stick to plan, while other people were gorging on the things I really wanted.

When I hit around 50, 55, or thereabouts pounds, I don't know, someone would say, "Hey, let's go to Cheesecake Factory..." and I'd be like "OK". Tired of scouring menus for the lowest calorie options, I would skip that step and just go eat. I would have the three glasses of wine I really wanted, not one. And then I'd come home and log it and it'd be 3,000 cals, totaling 4,000 for the day, and I'd be like, you know, I've lost 50 pounds and I really don't care if I just gave 1/2 of a pound back, because it was GOOD to be out with friends gulping down wine like Vikings (if Vikings drank wine) and eating all the crap I really wanted all along.

What changed? Good question. I think at around 50-60 pounds I kind of felt good. I could actually fit into a booth at Cheesecake, for one thing LOL And I was wearing better clothes, a couple sizes down. I no longer felt (or was) morbidly obese, though still "obese", but more as a technical BMI definition than in how I actually felt. And so I didn't feel like denying myself.

Of course this slowed the weight loss rate - and yet I still had 50 or 60 pounds to lose! So I entered a new struggle phase, where some days I would nail that calorie target like a true fanatical warrior, and other days I'd be like "meh, I can handle getting to Goal a week later..." This delicate balancing act between short term pleasure and long-term goal attainment did not exist earlier in my project.

Then I stumbled onto that article somewhere on the web, and it was almost like it was written while observing me under a magnifying glass!! The whole thesis was that something happens to people after around 50 lbs or 6 months or thereabouts - they get bored with it, they start fudging, then it falls apart. So I really recommitted, and it's kinda worked, but I don't think I'll ever get back that honeymoon phase wherein I could just nail the number day after day after day.

But I totally agree that dieting in a way which is difficult or overrestrictive and just praying to get to Goal so that one can ditch it is a heinously terrible plan. It's really important to be creative about the foods and make it rewarding in a way that can be repeated perpetually, perhaps with a few hundred calories added back in. Today I made a whole new invention for lunch: two Ore-Ida hash brown patties, serving as the "bread" for a sandwich which had an egg, American cheese and bacon. 477 calories! LOL Probably the best breakfast I've ever had. Truly stunning. I'm very happy to be able to fit that in & that's the kind of thing that keeps me going, but ... I still want and need more time-outs than I did in the first few months.

My first fatigue period hit me just after I had been losing for a year. I was about 160 pounds down. I have been pretty fortunate that my periods of fatigue have been fairly short-lived and usually solved by a break or a short period of overfeeding. Once over, my process is so normal for me now I do it on autopilot. While others are struggling during the pandemic and I have been indifferent to weight loss since my cruise was cancelled I am still losing on schedule. I find the whole thing to be kind of surreal. I am on a break at the moment which I also don't seem to care about but I needed to take it because I was losing a little too fast. I decided to eat in a small surplus during the break and that is causing me mental friction. Again, surreal.

• bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    I hit mental fatigue right around the 100 lb mark. The first time I lost 90 lbs back in 2012, it took me a little under a year to hit that fatigue, to start slipping and getting sloppy on my counts and then to quit counting all together when the plateau set in hard because of the sloppy counting. And then began the slow regain that spiked in 2014 after thyroid surgery.

This time around, I lost the first 100 lbs in 2017, but by the end of the year, I had slowed down to a stop once again. Part of it was the diet fatigue, I think. An even larger part was the fact that I was moving, we had to gut and remodel the place I was moving into which took 4 months (after having to get rid of the 1 1/2 dumpsters full of garbage the guy had left behind - he was a hoarder), I was driving back and forth between the old location 3 hours south to the new location and back and I was moving back home around family and living with them at the time, and my family has no interest in losing weight or making healthier choices and certainly no understanding about weighing food.

I let those influences get to me and plateaued for 18 months. Thankfully, this time, I only regained 30 lbs before I finally got myself back under control, but I can say that it was not easy getting myself back into the deficit mindset those first 6 months back; I was hitting and missing constantly. In january we finally got thyroid levels straightened out and it became easier for me to stick to it. There is something about seeing great success being motivating in keeping on keeping on. I can see now looking back at some of the new habits that are becoming ingrained as I keep at it.

What's really got me for a loop is the amount of calories I'm adding back due to activity. I'm 240 lbs right now, 5'8 1/2" (and yes, that 1/2" is VERY important! lol), and am doing low impact activity at least 2 hours a day, 5 to 6 days a week. I struggled to believe I was really adding that many calories back to my deficit, but after a month's run of 3 lb/week loss, I finally had to accept the calorie burn and add them back to slow that rate down. Now I'm taking a diet break since vacation is next week and they've reopened the state parks so i get to keep my plans for our secluded cabin in the middle of nowhere WV, and I'm experiencing something I've never ever thought would ever happen - I'm having a hard time eating enough calories to maintain my weight! Like NovusDies says - its surreal the struggle I'm having just to eat enough each day. I can't bring myself to go back to cooking the old way and its showing me just how ingrained some of these new methods have become - ingrained enough, I hope that when I get to the point of really needing to slow the weight loss down to a crawl, they'll be routine enough that I won't slip up this time around.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    scarlett_k wrote: »
    I'm 5'6" and have never had to eat that little to lose 2lb a week when I was 220lb or thereabouts. How are you calculating this? Have you actually tried it or is this all hypothetical? 1200 is very low. I ate 1500 for a while and felt *awful*.

I started noticing I wasnt losing quite as much each week and my "expected weight in 5 wks" was no longer a 10 lb loss at 1200 cals so I looked it up on the calculator mentioned by some on MFP called "fat to fit" after figuring my bmr and tdee it confirmed.

Honestly I don't think someone your height and weight could sustainably adhere to such a small amount of calories. You need to be able to stick to a calorie deficit over a long period of time instead of losing weight quickly only to create a binge cycle and eventually put it all back on.
  • joyanna2016
    Options
    I've decided that I'm going to increase my calories to between 1300 and 1400 and just know that it's going to take a while! I'm also going to put my scale away and just weigh once a month since I wont be seeing progress as quickly. This way hopefully when I do step on the scale there will be some small loss each time. That's my plan anyway!

Honestly I don't think someone your height and weight could sustainably adhere to such a small amount of calories. You need to be able to stick to a calorie deficit over a long period of time instead of losing weight quickly only to create a binge cycle and eventually put it all back on.[/quote]

• joyanna2016
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and have never had to eat that little to lose 2lb a week when I was 220lb or thereabouts. How are you calculating this? Have you actually tried it or is this all hypothetical? 1200 is very low. I ate 1500 for a while and felt *awful*.

I started noticing I wasnt losing quite as much each week and my "expected weight in 5 wks" was no longer a 10 lb loss at 1200 cals so I looked it up on the calculator mentioned by some on MFP called "fat to fit" after figuring my bmr and tdee it confirmed.

Honestly I don't think someone your height and weight could sustainably adhere to such a small amount of calories. You need to be able to stick to a calorie deficit over a long period of time instead of losing weight quickly only to create a binge cycle and eventually put it all back on.

In my post I think I accidently deleted your quotes Scarlet_K! Oops!
  • javamoaka
    javamoaka Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am currently helping a buddy who is very overweight get healthy. My biggest piece of advice is don't stress out about it. If you eat healthy food and exercise your health will improve. Pay attention to your calories (in and out) but I'm personally not a huge fan of tracking the scale every couple days or checking how many calories you burned on a run. It doesn't sound like your health is dire so I would just enjoy the progress and keep going :). Nice job thus far!