Day hikes on the Appalachian Trail

HilTri
HilTri Posts: 378 Member
I did a 12 mile hike on the AT and realized I need better gear. I would like to get a better day pack. Not sure if I should get a hydro pack (I am looking at the Osprey or Camel Back). Does anyone have any recommendations on hydro pack v. Bottles? I also need so lighter weight boots. I wore leather (hot and heavy too) any recommendations there? Finally, hiking sticks...I have never used them but people give them rave reviews. Thank you

Replies

• Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    I don't but I have to say I'm envious of your hike location!!
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,310 Member
    edited May 2020
    I've used CamelBak . They are nice.. small pockets for protein bars etc.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,108 Member
    We have a regular hiking back pack with a dedicated space for a CamelBak (or other) water reservoir and a hole for the tube and mouthpiece. Well, we have several back-packs actually and water reservoirs to match the size of the back pack.
    It is so much more handy than using water bottles: no need to take off the back pack, unscrew the bottle etc. to take a few sips. Just grab the mouth piece, open it, sip and close it again. No need to even stop walking, unless you share the water with a partner (in that case, just stopping for a few seconds to let them drink is enough).

As for hiking poles: on (fairly) flat terrain, I don't use them. But in the mountains, I've always regretted when we didn't take them with us. My BF and I share one set. He likes to use them for climbing, whereas I love them for walking downhill.
    My feet get very painful after walking downhill for a longer time: the soles of my feet get very sore from the repeated impact and my legs get tired from trying to put my feet down gently. The walking sticks make it easier to walk downhill 'softly' without too much impact on my feet.
    It also helps me a lot on steep inclines downhill, I'm always worried about slipping and the walking sticks give me more stability and assurance.

Lighter sticks are more pleasant of course (ours are carbon fiber). Walking sticks in more sections are easier/smaller to pack when not using them, but a bit more hassle to adapt when hiking (you need to change the length according to if you're walking uphill (shorter) or downhill (longer) or flat terrain).
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    I use a regular sturdy day pack with water bottles inside. I can keep a rain jacket, snacks, maps, etc. there as well, plus the bowl we use to give the dog water.

I use running shoes to hike. Sometimes a trail shoe like Merrill Moabs and sometimes my regular running/walking shoe (NB 860).

Poles can be helpful to spare some strain on the knees, to help with balance, for stream crossings, and to clear downed branches off the trail. I've used an old ski pole in the past, but now use Lekis because they can be telescoped if I'm not using them (i.e. for rock climbing or travel). I only use one pole, which is helpful because I have the dog's leash in the other hand but is something I did long before we had a dog.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    The hydro-packs are a lot easier when you are hiking, and you can take smaller sips during your hike instead of stopping to gulp from a water bottle. However, they are difficult to clean, harder to refill on the go, and I have had leaking issues. So, despite the convenience, I go with water bottles now.

Boots are very personal, but I love my Vasque hikers. I have a heavy-duty pair for backpacking, but also lighter, low-cut day hikers that are my favorite pair of footwear ever. Generally, anything that is waterproof and has gor tex will be hotter. The non-gor tex versions breathe better, but are not waterproof. So, it's a trade-off and depends on your preference.

Hiking poles for me are a MUST. They help with balance on uneven ground, save your knees (especially on downhill portions of a hike), and they prevent my fingers from swelling up. On anything longer than a neighborhood stroll, I take my hiking poles. A tip on purchasing these: the ones that tighten by twisting the pole are bound to wear out and not tighten anymore, which makes them unusable. Get the type that tightens with flick-locks instead.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,076 Member
    I don't feel competent enough to make pack recommendations, but I can put a "yes" vote out for hiking poles. Now, I'm 65yo and do lite hikes, so my issues might be different than yours, but I find the sticks not only add stability when traversing inclines, broken ground, icy patches, muddy patches and such, but, on the whole, they allow you to transfer some of the muscular effort to your upper body and weight off your knees. I use very basic Black Diamond poles (see pic), and I also use either snow baskets or rock/pavement tips as needed. There is some debate on the type of mechanism to collapse the poles, but I'd guess most of the reputable mfgs have figured out something decent (the Black Diamonds have locking cams, not twistys). The only pack advice I can give - perhaps especially important regarding daypacks, which might be limited in this regard, is to see if your pack supports conveniently/securely lashing on or carrying your poles when you're not using them. I utilize an exterior water bottle pocket on my pack to hold them, and secure the poles with a tie more towards the top of the pack. Not perfect, but it works for my limited purposes. Oh, and one other things with poles: if you have large hands (me), and wear thick gloves for cold, then make sure your pole straps fit. Mine do, barely.

Good luck! My covid lockdown reading this past week was re-reading "Walk in the Woods" (Bryson) as we clean out the house. I've got the bug to get out and do something now.

xdi5xafejyzc.jpg
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Oooohhhh... what section of the AT?? We are near Harper’s Ferry and I have done a couple miles of the trail with the kiddos and have a bucket list dream of a thru-hike someday (my CV time has included some audio books on the AT). My husband said he wouldn’t mind starting to do small sections of it together - yay!

Can’t help much on gear, but I personally have never liked the big clunky hiking boots and have used my running shoes thus far. I have my eye on Altra Lone Peak 4.5s, currently on sale at REI.
  • klove808
    klove808 Posts: 346 Member
    Oh how I do miss the appalachians! 🧡. I have no recommends because it’s been 23 years since I’ve needed any real hiking equipment to hike - I now live on a small island so all short 2 hr hikes at max. Can say that I’m not found of hiking boots so usually wear sneakers, and my other half prefers Merrill’s hiking shoes.
  • HilTri
    Wow! Great info! ThNk you. I hiked Grayson Highlands with the wild ponies and some longhorns! It was magical. I read “A Walk In the Woods” a while ago and just ordered it again so I can read it since I have now been on the trail. Xfinity has the movie on demand, I had some Vasque hikers at one point, they were my very favorite. Thank you so much for your feedback.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    You don't have to buy a CamelBak, many backpacks are "hydration compatible." Get the most comfortable pack. Most people find Osprey backpacks to be very comfortable. Some Arc'teryx packs are excellent, but they charge a lot; they're on sale now and still more expensive than other options.

Whether you actually want a hydration pack is another question. There are some annoyances. Sucking hard at first for a lukewarm sip, until you clear the water in the tube and get to the stuff in the bladder. The system is harder to clean. But you wind up drinking more because it's right there, you don't have to stop moving to drink, you don't have to pull your bottle out, you can't spill.

Try trail running shoes. A pound on your feet is like ten on your back.
  • NorthCascades
    Sorry, forgot:

If you go for a hydration pack, store the bladder and hose in your freezer. That's easier than getting the inside 100% dry and will prevent mold and mildew from growing.
  • HilTri
    Good tip on the hose. I drink loads so I will probably go with a hydration day pack. I gotta try a bunch of different kinds of shoes on when things open up. Thank you.
  • NorthCascades
    There's a running store nearby that's doing online orders with curbside pickup. You can't go in the store, but they'll bring them to the sidewalk right outside the door for you. I needed new shoes and needed to try them on - tendonitis. Called them on the phone, explained the situation; they gave me three pairs of shoes to go try on in my car and walk around in.

I don't know how urgent your need for shoes is, but you might be able to find someone who'll work with you. Also Amazon is accepting shoe returns, but I'm glad I didn't have to go that route, I'm sure it would be frustrating.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    There's a running store nearby that's doing online orders with curbside pickup. You can't go in the store, but they'll bring them to the sidewalk right outside the door for you. I needed new shoes and needed to try them on - tendonitis. Called them on the phone, explained the situation; they gave me three pairs of shoes to go try on in my car and walk around in.

I don't know how urgent your need for shoes is, but you might be able to find someone who'll work with you. Also Amazon is accepting shoe returns, but I'm glad I didn't have to go that route, I'm sure it would be frustrating.

Our local running store recently opened up for very limited service. I tried on several pairs of shoes on the bench outside on Saturday. They haven’t resumed gait analysis, but it was far easier doing the limited help route than just ordering online.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    I have a now 8 year old daypack from Arc'terix. It's super lightweight, comfy, and actually has a hip belt that works. While I never go out with so much stuff I can easily hike with about 15kg of luggage and feel no strain on my shoulders. Such a shame they stopped producing this one as it's truly brilliant. I basically use water bottles. Just (depending on temperature) one to two 1-1.5l plastic water bottles. Kept a few when vacationing in southern Europe where you can't drink tap water everywhere and have to buy bottled water.
  • tnh2o
    tnh2o Posts: 158 Member
    Make sure the pack fits your torso. They come in different lengths. Your pack and hydration bladder can be different brands.
    Bladder or bottle is a personal choice. I use a counter top paper towel holder to dry my camelback.
    Make sure that your boots/shoes are laced properly but I heard of a woman who thru hiked the AT in Crocs.
    I rarely use my poles but mine are Z-poles that fold up and fit in my pack.
    Happy Trails!
  • tnh2o
    tnh2o Posts: 158 Member
    Also if you drink a lot and sweat a lot make sure you have electrolytes. I don't advise putting anything but water in a hydration pack but I always carry electrolyte gummies.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Gear is soooo relative to terrain and personal preference that I'm hesitant to make any recommendations. So I'll keep them really generic.

Focus on comfort. Which right now can be a problem as many places are still closed such that trying on before you buy can be difficult.

For shoes, I like La Sportiva shoes, and they've got a HUGELY varied lineup for virtually all wants/needs.
    For packs, most all daypacks have a sleeve for a hydration pouch now, so the difference between a hydration pack and non is simply whether or not you put in the hydration pouch. I like Lowe Alpine and Eddie Bauer, but there are a zillion of them out there.

I hate poles, so I can't help you there, sorry.
  • HilTri
    Hopefully VA moves to Phase II of opening back up so I can peruse. Thanks again for your insight.
  • NorthCascades
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I hate poles, so I can't help you there, sorry.

I lost my poles years ago, attached them to my pack, lost them glissading. Not retrievable. I've been hiking without them ever since, and never once missed them. (I do feel guilty about the litter though.)

They can be useful when balance is really tough like on shifting rocks or crossing a swift creek. But it turns out the woods are full of sticks that work really well.