Learning how to walk again

Options
tjsims8
tjsims8 Posts: 46 Member
This question is actually for my grandmother. She was in the hospital 6 weeks do to covid. She is home now and very weak. Unable to walk a more than a few steps. She has a physical therapist scheduled to come soon but what type of exercises should I have her do in the meantime?

Replies

• eponine1976
    eponine1976 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Pool walking helped me when i was having trouble walking
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    First of all congratulations that your grandmother pulled through--so many didn't. It comes to mind something my husband did when his elderly mother was failing. He walked her through her apartment standing face to face and draping her arms around his neck. He walked backwards very slowly and talked to her face to face the entire time. She loved it. The closeness they had was beautiful to see. She couldn't fall because he had her supported.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,500 Member
    Options
    Just being there, encouraging her, not letting her give up or quit is the bery best thing you can do.

But be warned, it depends on her motivation. No amount of love, care, solace can make someone do something they do not want to do.

I tried for years begging, cajoling, fussing at my morbidly obese and severely diabetic mom to get up and go for walks and she refused. End result, she’s been completely bedridden for seven years, and has now lost the use of everything except her voice and (appropriately) her jaws.

Every time I see her I say a silent “thank you, me”, to myself. Every time she sees me, she complains yet again about her situation and says “I wish I’d done what you did.”

Many lives would have been completely altered if she had.

Best of luck to you both. I feel you there, sister.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Work with the physical therapist for sure and ask questions.

But something to consider...if you are going to help her walk, are you strong enough to support her entire weight if you need to? This would be a big factor in what you can and can't do with her.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    So sorry your grandma was so sick and so glad she is better!
    Turn on grandma’s favorite music and encourage her to move as much as she likes to the music. Tap her toe. Clap hands.
    If she’s stronger, there are seated stretches and exercises on the net.
    If she’s not that strong, a bit of tender massage with lots of lotion.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Even ankle circles and knee lifts as she sits in a chair or in her bed will help. Any movement at all. Definitely be there if you can when the therapist comes and have them show you how and watch you help your grandmother. If she made it through and wants to keep moving, she will get through by determination!!
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    The body has an amazing ability to heal itself. The best thing you can do for her while you're waiting on the Physical Therapist is helping her with eating healthy and staying nurished.

I had a brother in law suffer a stroke last year at a relatively young age. There's not a lot of research out on Covid-19 recovery, but with strokes, there's been a lot of research out on eating a Mediterranean or DASH type diet helping patients recover balance and help that part of the brain. Lots of fresh vegetables and produce.

I wish her a speedy recovery. You're a wonderful granddaughter to try to help.