Add extra calories

tjsims8
tjsims8 Posts: 46 Member
edited May 2020 in Food and Nutrition
My grandmother is recovering from covid. She barley eats. I don’t know why. She says the food is good but will only take a couple bites. I’d say in a day, she may eat 500 calories and most of that being sugary drinks. Are there any supplements that add extra calories/nutrition that I could maybe mix in with her applesauce or soup? Does this exist. Yes, I’ve tried ensure but she won’t drink enough

I should also add that since being off the ventilator and sedation, she is not at her right mind. So it’s hard to reason with her

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,093 Member
    edited May 2020
    I don't know any specific products. But oils/butters have the highest calorie density, so for calories, adding those to her food would be an obvious option. Maybe high fat dairy too (to add to the soup, for example).
    For nutrition, a vitamin supplement might be a good idea, I think there are supplements in powder form that you can add to food or drinks (if she can't/wont take pills).
    I would talk to a doctor too though, if she keeps this up, the lack of nutrition might hamper her recovery or endanger her health.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,935 Member
    Oh, my goodness, bless you for taking care of her. I hope she recovers fully.

I think whatever she will eat is good. How about protein powder mixed into a big milkshake with ice cream? You could even slip in a few fruits or vegetables in a smoothie.

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    I was going to say milkshakes, too, with peanut butter!
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Definitely talk to her doctor, but if she's only going to eat a little bit, you'll need to make sure those few bites are as calorie dense as possible. Soup and apple sauce are not going to give her enough bang for her buck, calorie-wise. If she'll have some oatmeal, for example, you could mix in peanut butter.

I second the ice cream as well, if she likes that.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Also, here is a good list of calorie-dense foods that might give you a few ideas based on what she will tolerate:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1
  • laralex
    laralex Posts: 2 Member
    There are actually protein powders that are unflavored. I’ve been prescribed them several times over the years to help with weight gain. They are designed to dissolve in liquids and can be added to smoothies, milkshakes, applesauce, mashed potatoes, mashed sweet potatoes, etc. They do leave a bit of a gritty mouthfeel so it’s better in mixed into something thicker rather than something thinner. You can always reach out to her PCP for a recommendation or to see if they have access to them. It was typically given to me by doctors/dieticians and so I’ve never actually purchased it myself. You can also just use regular protein powder and mix it into a milkshake or into food that would complement the flavor. You can also mix ensure in with ice cream for a milkshake to help her with nutrients. Replacing water with Gatorade or another higher calorie beverage will help to get electrolytes and ensure that she remains hydrated. Make sure the things she will eat are as calorie dense as possible. Making sure to cook foods in butter/oil and if she’s eating soup, give her cream based, calorie dense soups rather than broth based.