Break the black/white thinking

Options
2»

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,381 Member
    Options
    Yes that is a good analogy.

There are people who can cook without recipes or without measuring ingredients - I myself make soups with a rough recipe in my head and I do not measure the ingredients.

But I wouldn't answer someone's question of how to begin cooking with 'i make soups without a written recipe or measurements so you can just start by making anything by guess work.'

Heh. I maybe would tell people to make soup like that, even beginners. I mean, what's the worst that can happen? A short-term learning experience, or some food waste (assuming one avoids consuming actual poison).

I wouldn't tell someone with a history of weight gain or iffy nutrition to manage eating in such a slap-dash way, though: What's at risk is more important, and you may not realize you have a problem until long after the fact. Calorie counting isn't the only possible method, but it's the most sensible one to give advice about on a calorie-counting site.

Reaching goal weight is swell. Kudos to anyone who does it. Statistics suggest maintenance is the harder go, though. The test of time - 2, 3, 5, 10 years - matters.

Different lifestyles work for different people. Being snarky or dismissive about other people's (non-dangerous) choices is . . . well, that would be snarky or dismissive of me to say, wouldn't it? :lol:
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,014 Member
    Options
    Leaving aside the cooking analogy - because analogies can get taken too far and I think we have made our point with that one - yes I agree different lifestyles work for different people.

I didnt think there was any snarkiness :* - I acknowledged that what KHMcg is doing could work for him and for some others.

It still was not good advice for OP and I disagreed with his thinking so.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,381 Member
    Options
    Leaving aside the cooking analogy - because analogies can get taken too far and I think we have made our point with that one - yes I agree different lifestyles work for different people.

I didnt think there was any snarkiness :* - I acknowledged that what KHMcg is doing could work for him and for some others.

It still was not good advice for OP and I disagreed with his thinking so.

I didn't think you were snarky or dismissive, just for the record. ;)
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »
    KHMcG wrote: »
    Don't weigh your food. Don't eat back your calories. Concentrate on learning how much and what to eat that helps you lose and maintain. Then keep your active lifestyle. Focus on finding foods you like and activities you enjoy.

Yep I still feel this way. Give me more dislikes please. I don't want to be chained to an app. The app is just a tool to learn and correct.

BTW I do this. Never weigh my food. Never eat back calories.

Two weeks at 100% goal and moving to maintenance now. Calories and macros are estimates at best anyways.

Is your life a diet or lifestyle?

Two weeks?

Anything can work for two weeks. You can go on the banana - lemon juice - chocolate cake diet for two weeks and lose weight. You can do the asparagus and Happy Meal diet and lose weight for two weeks. You can do the Game of Thrones and Popcorn diet for two weeks and lose a few pounds.

Are you sure the "no calorie counting, just do you" approach would work for 6, 12 or 18 months?

It's best to be very, very humble with diet advice. Most diets fail right after the honeymoon phase - 2 to 6 weeks. Many people can't even begin to make intuitive eating work; I am one of them. Counting calories and eating back exercise at least mimics what the body's actually doing with the food, and treats it as an algebra issue, which is what it is.

6 weeks now at maintenance.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »
    Don't weigh your food. Don't eat back your calories. Concentrate on learning how much and what to eat that helps you lose and maintain. Then keep your active lifestyle. Focus on finding foods you like and activities you enjoy.

Yep I still feel this way. Give me more dislikes please. I don't want to be chained to an app. The app is just a tool to learn and correct.

Two weeks at 100% goal and moving to maintenance now. Calories and macros are estimates at best anyways.

Two weeks?

Anything can work for two weeks. You can go on the banana - lemon juice - chocolate cake diet for two weeks and lose weight. You can do the asparagus and Happy Meal diet and lose weight for two weeks. You can do the Game of Thrones and Popcorn diet for two weeks and lose a few pounds.

Are you sure the "no calorie counting, just do you" approach would work for 6, 12 or 18 months?

It's best to be very, very humble with diet advice. Most diets fail right after the honeymoon phase - 2 to 6 weeks. Many people can't even begin to make intuitive eating work; I am one of them. Counting calories and eating back exercise at least mimics what the body's actually doing with the food, and treats it as an algebra issue, which is what it is.

6 weeks now at maintenance.

Congratulations, but generally maintaining is something that is measured in years, not weeks.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Its 6 of one or half a dozen of the other.

MFP goal of 1200 daily assumes you earn extra for exercise - and you indicate (not in what I quoted, but its in your post) 3-5 workouts weekly. Those 3-5 workouts weekly are counted in the TDEE so would account for the 300/day difference between MFP's 1200 and the calculator's 1500. Its assuming the workouts burn an extra 2100 per week.

If you feel that is too much (2100/week for workouts) then cut it in half, assume 1350 is more accurate than 1500. And either eat 1200 + extra for working out, or set goal manually to 1350 daily and do not worry about workout calories (because they are reflected in the 1350) as long as you feel satisfied/energetic on what you are consuming.

Planning is helpful, and hopefully you'll build an arsenal of food choices to fall back on for when plans go awry.

I know it's low, but MFP set me to 1200 calories a day. I checked a TDEE calculator and that gave me 1500 calories for a 1 lb. loss a week which I know is probably more realistic and sustainable. But of course, my mind has a hard time embracing that.

Just wondering if any of you could share your words of advice or support or wisdom.
    I really do appreciate it <3

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options

If I could do that I wouldn't have weighed twice what I ought. I must weigh/measure my food so I know how much to eat. More importantly, I log it and keep count of how many calories I am ingesting a day. I know how I weighed so much. I ate twice as much as I needed.
  • josh250to180
    josh250to180 Posts: 32 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options

You are giving educated, trained behaviors to the novice. It might as well be a test. If that behavior is your recommendation for the OP’s success, then state how you achieved this behavior, how it became successful for you, and what steps OP should take. Otherwise, your statement is pointless.

Don’t be a d.