Poffertjes (small sweet pancakes): how to turn into balanced main meal?

Options
yirara
yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
I never throw food away and usually find a use for everything. Well... I have a pack of ready-made poffertjes in my freezer and no idea what to do with them. Normally they are sprinkled wth icing sugar, but even without this they seem to contain lots of sugar.

I don't want to eat them as a snack: far too high in calories. And electricity is expensive here, thus I won't turn on the oven for 3-4 of them at a time.

Thus I need ideas for a main meal that contains not only carbs but also protein and possibly a bit more fat. I just can't think of what to do with ufo-shaped small pancakes that are sweet. :#

Hive mind: your turn!

Replies

• shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    Difficult to answer without knowing what your taste is - what's stopping you chucking some fruit on it and eating it for dessert after your main meal?
  • yirara
    Options
    shaf238 wrote: »
    Difficult to answer without knowing what your taste is - what's stopping you chucking some fruit on it and eating it for dessert after your main meal?

Ok, my taste: not sweet :D I safe about 100-200 calories for a desert each day. That would be about 5-6 poffertjes. And then I still have about 55 of those darn things. Which brings me back to the electricity issue.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    You're sure the poffertjes themselves are sweet tasting?

If they are sweetened, I wonder if a sweet and sour type dish or a (coconut) curry dish with sweet potato/sweet peppers/carrot... isn't an option, with the poffertjes instead of the rice. With any meat of your choosing.
    I have very fond memories of a pancake restaurant I used to go to, with savory pancakes, including a dish with a curry sauce!
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    I have never had them, but they might be a good breakfast/brunch meal. You could add cheese and bacon/ham/prosciutto for the protein and fat you're looking for. I saw some recipes that make them with gruyere and prosciutto.
  • yirara
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »

If they are sweetened, I wonder if a sweet and sour type dish or a curry dish with sweet potato/sweet peppers/carrot... isn't an option, with the poffertjes instead of the rice. With any meat of your choosing.
    I have very fond memories of a pancake restaurant I used to go to, with savory pancakes, including a dish with a curry sauce!

There's about 9gr of sugar per 100gr in the dough (I subtracted the pack of icing sugar provided with them). They are bound to be sweet. Hmm.. a curry.. I wonder if a soup would work. Can't think of a soup though... on a coconut milk base, but not sweet I'd guess.
  • yirara
    Options
    Hmm.. maybe a spinach and paneer soup on a coconut milk base. Maybe that's something :)
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,604 Member
    Options
    Poffertjes are extremely dutch, where we would eat them with berries. I've seen something similar in Thailand too (kanoon krok), where they use a similar poffertjes pan to make them, served coconut cream I think. Seeing as they are cooked on the stove top you could probably warm them up in a dry non stick pan instead of the oven. Just keep them in a single layer.
  • yirara
    Options
    Yes, you might be right there. Maybe pan is sufficient, or even microwave. I do feel something for a strange Indian/no idea what fusion soup with it. Need to run a few calculations to see if this works, calorie-wise and kind of with regards to macros. I'm not really strict with macros, but a nearly pure carb meal leaves even me, who worships the humble simple carb hungry. :D
  • acpgee
    Options
    If you don't like sweet pancakes, Thai kanoon krok though made in a similar pan with a slightly sweet dough are served savoury with green onions.

http://www.khiewchanta.com/mobile/desserts/thai-mini-pancakes-kanoom-kran.html
  • yirara
    Options
    Wow, that looks marvellous!
  • acpgee
    Options
    I would probably use a sauce made like Cambodian marinade for corn on the cob, because the Thai recipe above has no sugar in the dough but combines sugar, salt, green onions and coconut milk in the sauce. Some other recipes use a sweetened batter.

https://hot-thai-kitchen.com/kanom-krok/

The Cambodian marinade for corn on the cob is coconut milk, fish sauce, green onion and sugar. Maybe leave out the sugar if the ready made poffertjes are already sweet.

https://tarasmulticulturaltable.com/pot-ang-cambodian-grilled-corn/
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »

If they are sweetened, I wonder if a sweet and sour type dish or a (coconut) curry dish with sweet potato/sweet peppers/carrot... isn't an option, with the poffertjes instead of the rice. With any meat of your choosing.

I was thinking if not too sweet, maybe as a replacement for Teff/Injera for Ethiopian dishes. (not dissimilar to scooping some of a curry dish onto a piece of pancake). (When asked, I usually describe injera as kind of a big sourdough-esque pancake).
  • ritzvin
    Options
    ..which is now making me sad about all the summer things not happening (I almost always stopped at the Ethiopian food stand for dinner at one of the outdoor weekly music events down the street from me on summer Tuesdays)(and also the wine table).
  • yirara
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    ..which is now making me sad about all the summer things not happening (I almost always stopped at the Ethiopian food stand for dinner at one of the outdoor weekly music events down the street from me on summer Tuesdays)(and also the wine table).

Hey, if you like Ethiopian music then go to youtube on Friday (every Friday) and search for Fendika Cultural Center. They have fantastic live music every Friday at 20:00 central European time. My Friday workout is dancing since they started doing that <3 Mind you, I do hope I can return to Addis one day and go to Fendika.
  • ritzvin
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    ritzvin wrote: »

Hey, if you like Ethiopian music then go to youtube on Friday (every Friday) and search for Fendika Cultural Center. They have fantastic live music every Friday at 20:00 central European time. My Friday workout is dancing since they started doing that <3 Mind you, I do hope I can return to Addis one day and go to Fendika.

This particular event was mainly rock/swing/occasionally salsa. (one of the food stands/trucks just happened to be Ethiopian).