Fitbit syncing steps and food but not calories to MFP

Hi all, I just started using a Fitbit Inspire along with the Fitbit app (iOS and Windows 10) as well as MFP (again, iOS and Windows). I have fitbit and MFP sync'd fine and I'm seeing my fitbit steps in MFP but NO calories from fitbit. This is causing MFP to under represent my calorie burn. I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting multiple times with no luck. Am I missing something here? I've read numerous posts on this topic but can find nothing other than "disconnect reconnect" and even then the posts seems somewhat mixed on whether or not that fixes this problem.
THANKS ALL

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    You're seeing steps but no adjustment? Are you sure you're burning enough calories to see adjustments? The higher you set your MFP activity level, the more steps you need to begin seeing calorie adjustments.
  • benniegibson56mfp
    benniegibson56mfp Posts: 4 Member
    edited May 2020
    You're seeing steps but no adjustment? Are you sure you're burning enough calories to see adjustments? The higher you set your MFP activity level, the more steps you need to begin seeing calorie adjustments.

Good question... I believe I am burning enough calories to see an adjustment - e.g. today, I've gone 3,776 steps as of 3:20PM (1,792 calories burned) but only steps and food are being sync'd. This has been pretty consistent for the past few days. (UPDATE: I currently have my activity profile set at "lightly active" - I work from home and walk around intentionally during the day and go outside to do chores through the day (does not include my active work outs such as elliptical).
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited May 2020

Good question... I believe I am burning enough calories to see an adjustment - e.g. today, I've gone 3,776 steps as of 3:20PM (1,792 calories burned) but only steps and food are being sync'd. This has been pretty consistent for the past few days.

What is your activity level on MFP? With some activity levels, 3,776 likely isn't going to be enough to see any kind of adjustment. It's just included in your baseline steps for that activity level.

That 1,792 calories that Fitbit is giving you isn't just for the steps (unless something is seriously wrong), it also includes the calories you burn just through living. MFP is already accounting for those in your base calorie goal.
  • benniegibson56mfp

Good question... I believe I am burning enough calories to see an adjustment - e.g. today, I've gone 3,776 steps as of 3:20PM (1,792 calories burned) but only steps and food are being sync'd. This has been pretty consistent for the past few days.

What is your activity level on MFP? With some activity levels, 3,776 likely isn't going to be enough to see any kind of adjustment. It's just included in your baseline steps for that activity level.

That 1,792 calories that Fitbit is giving you isn't just for the steps (unless something is seriously wrong), it also includes the calories you burn just through living. MFP is already accounting for those in your base calorie goal.

Another good point - I have been tracking steps for a week now and achieving between 9,000 to 12,000 steps a day. Activity level is "lightly active". When would MFP decide to make an adjustment? Maybe I need to review some guidelines to know what to expect and when to expect it re: calorie adjustments? THANKS FOR THE REPLY
  • Ale1014
    Ale1014 Posts: 1 Member
    I'm having the same issue. No exercises are reading on MFP at all. Even though I have over 10k steps and actually exercise daily. It's frustrating. I have the Blaze and a Samsung phone.
  • benniegibson56mfp
    OK - I think I get it now. I reviewed the past week and the days with > 10,000 steps show a fitbit calorie adjustment. So, I figure MFP assume I will walk at least 10,000 steps and makes a positive calorie adjustment after 10K steps. I also figure that means I need to enable negative adjustments for days I fall short of 10K steps. Does that sound right to those who have experience with MFP and Fitbit?
    Thanks
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    OK - I think I get it now. I reviewed the past week and the days with > 10,000 steps show a fitbit calorie adjustment. So, I figure MFP assume I will walk at least 10,000 steps and makes a positive calorie adjustment after 10K steps. I also figure that means I need to enable negative adjustments for days I fall short of 10K steps. Does that sound right to those who have experience with MFP and Fitbit?
    Thanks

Mfp is actually making an adjustment (or not) based on what Fitbit is estimating as your calories burned for the day. If you do a lot of the same things day to do, then that’s probably going to correlate at least approximately to a range of number of steps-but the actual adjustment is based on calories.

If you want to see the details of the calculation, you can click on that entry in the mfp diary, then click again (if You’re using the app) or click the “i” (if you’re using the website).

And yes-if you’re not getting an adjustment everyday, enabling negative adjustments or lowering your activity setting on mfp would be a good idea.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,527 Member
    for most people the lightly active setting on mfp tops out at around 7.5K; but what @Duck_Puddle said is the whole truth!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Ale1014 wrote: »
    I'm having the same issue. No exercises are reading on MFP at all. Even though I have over 10k steps and actually exercise daily. It's frustrating. I have the Blaze and a Samsung phone.

Fitbit doesn't send exercises to MFP - so what you are seeing is correct.

Is your step count showing up on MFP for display?
    That is a figure that is sent over.

If you have the MFP setting for Step Source set to the Fitbit anyway - and that is after a linking of accounts.