Transition from Noom to My Fitness Pal Advice?

ebethsea
ebethsea Posts: 2 Member
I am an infectious disease epidemiologist at a state health department. We are working long days with few days off. I use that as an excuse to eat out. This weekend, I was talking with my son and realized that Inwas out of breath from tying my shoes. Time for change. I started Noom three days ago and it feels a lot like My Fitness Pal only Noom costs more, so I am going to try using both to see which I like better before free trial on Noom expires. Has anyone left Noom to come here? Do you have any words of wisdom comparing the two?

Thanks from the crazy overweight, overworked, overtired, and overwhelmed epi!

Replies

• KimSMomof2
    KimSMomof2 Posts: 1 Member
    Just left Noom today— I had a 2 week free trail and ended it a day early.
  • quemalosuerte
    quemalosuerte Posts: 234 Member
    Unlike what I understand about Noom, MFP doesn’t have people paid to go out of their way to support you. You have to find friends and participate in the community to really get the most out of it. The more you put in and the more you open yourself up and be honest and (potentially) vulnerable, the better off you will be. I find it hard, sometimes, to be honest and to log EVERYTHING, but that is my own anxiety disorder judging me (its why i will only buy taco bell with cash, because I don’t need the bank juding my decisions. I’m working on it). It is also what will stand in my way if I let it.
  • quemalosuerte
    quemalosuerte Posts: 234 Member
    Also, i can only add friends on the web and am currently on my iPad. Will totes be friends if you send a request (5’6”, 250, down from 270, teacher in Iowa, US)
  • ChrissyChickie
    ChrissyChickie Posts: 182 Member
    My husband and I were both on Noom and both left it. We thought it was too expensive for what it was. I guess if you have a good trainer maybe things would be different, but we both thought the interactions we received from our trainers (we had different people) just weren't better than an autobot.
  • ebethsea
    ebethsea Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks for responding to my question. Are you being successful with My Fitness Pal? I have a week to make my decision and it looks like the free version of My Fitness Pal does almost everything Noom does and the paid version even gives you a coach. I am thinking I can get what I need here.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    ebethsea wrote: »
    Thanks for responding to my question. Are you being successful with My Fitness Pal? I have a week to make my decision and it looks like the free version of My Fitness Pal does almost everything Noom does and the paid version even gives you a coach. I am thinking I can get what I need here.

Just to clarify, MFP Premium doesn't include any kind of coaching.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    ebethsea wrote: »

If you're active in the MFP community forums, people will answer your questions, and offer recommendations. (May not always be the answer you want to hear, in the way you want to hear it, but usually you'll get multiple answers from different perspectives, so you can pick and choose.)

If you get a good group of MFP friends, you'll get encouragement and "likes" on what you're logging.

There are no coaches, but there can be interpersonal support, if you choose to participate. And that support can include quite a few people who've been successful themselves at weight loss with MFP.

There are always tradeoffs, right? :)

Welcome!
  • Numer1ca
    Numer1ca Posts: 247 Member
    I do better with MFP than I did with Noom. I knew most of what they were “teaching” me and sometimes I would fall behind. Then I feel like I’d have to catch up.
    And I didn’t like the small group format. It didn’t feel organic so it didn’t stimulate real conversation or support. I think the self-selection format at MFP better fits my needs.
  • Geneveremfp
    Geneveremfp Posts: 504 Member
    I lost weight with mfp years ago (about 60.lbs I never weighted at my highest) and kept it off until I became pregnant.

After pregnancy and breastfeeding I'd put on about 40lbs and was lazy in getting rid of it as it wasn't as bad as I was. I decided to start losing weight and tried noom. It didn't really tell me anything I didn't know already and I felt it gave me less options to edit things myself. I feel like the information on noom is readily available online - it's just packaged in a nicer way on noom.

If you are someone who needs the little tips like a cup of Grapes fills you up more than the same calories of raisins etc then noom and similar programs are really useful though. I've got a friend who has dinner really well on second nature because it tells her what a plate should look like for a good meal and helps with portion advice.

I don't think I'd get anything else out of it that I don't get from mfp as I know what my issues are and that I eat too many snacks and too many big meals etc I just need to have something to help me track and monitor.
  • tiffanyb71
    tiffanyb71 Posts: 3 Member
    Also, i can only add friends on the web and am currently on my iPad. Will totes be friends if you send a request (5’6”, 250, down from 270, teacher in Iowa, US)

You can friend me. :smiley:

• tiffanyb71
    tiffanyb71 Posts: 3 Member
    I'm in my last few days of Noom trial, and I think I'm going to cancel. I've been on MFP on and on for several years. When I log and exercise, I do ok. I thought with a Noom coach, I'd stick with it, but my son and some friends are on MFP, so there is accountability if you ask friends to do gentle reminders. Plus, I've been having to log in both places because my son copies log of family meals. And, while I love the ease of using the apps, I like being able to log on an actual computer. My middle age eyes and chubby fingers just doesn't like doing everything on my phone. LOL!

I'm happy to add some MFP buddies.

I lost almost 60 lbs in 2010 going through the HMR program. I plateaued after my dad died. Slowly over the last 10 years, I've regained about 50 of those pounds after losing 5, gaining 10. I dropped 3 lbs. in the last 2 weeks. Well, you may know that. I turn 50 next March and want to lose another 50-65 lbs. by then, so I have my eyes on that and think staying right here will be the way.
  • Lynatea
    Lynatea Posts: 311 Member
    edited June 2020
    I considered trying Noom, but decided I'd much rather have the money spent on Noom to buy new clothes for the 35 pounds I've lost so far on MFP!