Barcode scan should show verified foods by default, or a list of options

Options
Dolph452
Dolph452 Posts: 30 Member
There are so many foods in the database now that are user entries with the wrong information, or information missing. It would be good if, when you barcode scanned items, it gave you a choice of matching foods and prioritised verified items.

It's actually quite surprising how many of the barcode scan foods are wrong.

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Good idea, but the MFP developers and support staff don't monitor this forum section. There's a suggestions section that might get this more attention.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Good idea, but the MFP developers and support staff don't monitor this forum section. There's a suggestions section that might get this more attention.

Staff rarely responds to anything in the Feedback area, I don't get the impression it is a very good way to get their attention (there is no good way to get their attention, especially since they seem to have decided against adding new features or fixing broken features).

I did say might. There's at least a higher probability than this section, even if it's only +0.0001%. But yes, MFP's track record for implementing/fixing features in the application is pretty dismal especially since UA took over.

But hey, the forum got shiny new badges, there's that.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I vet carefully every item before I use it.

Not only are things entered incorrectly, but there are good entries if I take the time to look for them.

Or I'll enter a new food and I know I have it the way I want it. Once I do that, it is in MY FOODS and easy to use.

In addition, formulas, recipes, ingredients and portion sizes change even within the same manufacturer and the same item - so, it pays to get them in there and check them regularly. This database was begun in 2005 - obviously a lot of foods have been changed at the manufacturers' level in 15 years. Whole foods are in there correctly, you just have to find them...among the millions of entries.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I vet carefully every item before I use it.

Not only are things entered incorrectly, but there are good entries if I take the time to look for them.

Or I'll enter a new food and I know I have it the way I want it. Once I do that, it is in MY FOODS and easy to use.

In addition, formulas, recipes, ingredients and portion sizes change even within the same manufacturer and the same item - so, it pays to get them in there and check them regularly. This database was begun in 2005 - obviously a lot of foods have been changed at the manufacturers' level in 15 years. Whole foods are in there correctly, you just have to find them...among the millions of entries.

This is good advice. I've noticed foods I eat several times a week suddenly have a change in calories when I got a new package/batch, either because they've tweaked the ingredients or recalculated the calories. Most of the time it's just a slight difference, but when you're eating it often it can add up quickly (especially when you're at goal or relatively close).
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I love it when you see the new packaging, and that's the claim to fame on the front - "New packaging" as if that is it.
    Then you discover the nutrient label is different, and different calories even though the serving size is the same or less, and some macro is different.
    Ya, new packaging only. Changes must not have been for better taste or lower fat or that would have been claimed - so just found a way to be cheaper probably.