Low Carbs - who else is doing this

Hey guys
I'm being doing a low carb type diet and really enjoying it, I don't crave as much as I used to and feel pretty great. I exercise a lot but feel pretty good so far. My thing is trying to get enough calories in a day, I'm aiming for 1,200 to 1,300 but I find it very difficult to get that many on a low carb. I'm trying to stick to low fat meats as well.

Any one else doing this sucess stories or motvation is welcome!!

Thanks

Replies

• thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    I personally would try to find ways to ensure you are getting enough calories. Not consuming enough will increase your muscle loss along the way. Also, don't do low carb unless you plan on sticking to it forever. A calorie deficit is what is required to lose weight, not low carb.

Try eating higher calorie/fat cuts of meat to up your calories.. add in oils when cooking, dressings, sauces, nuts, etc.
  • hannah_d1989
    hannah_d1989 Posts: 57 Member
    Hi! I am doing low carb too :) like you, I am enjoying it and not craving as much!
    I only have 10 pounds max to lose, and have been on this diet for 2 weeks with no loss. Hoping anyone else in a similar situation can reassure me the weight will come off eventually!!!
  • Jill_with_a_G
    Jill_with_a_G Posts: 58 Member
    I'm close to my goal but would love if my body decides it's happy at a lower weight. I've been low carbing since July 24th. I dropped 7 pounds the first two weeks and have been at the same weight since. BUT...... I have dropped 2% body fat in the past three weeks while stalling out on the scale. Build some muscle and make sure you eat enough protein. Tuna, protein shakes, bacon bacon bacon..... :) - don't forget the veggies, they are important to great health!

It is worth it. Work with your measurements and how your clothes fit, don't always rely on the scale :)

I'm getting ready to start carb cycling because I am so board with low carb and need some fruit and oatmeal....I really miss my oatmeal.....

You can do it! Add me as a friend if you like :)
  • kerenelly
    kerenelly Posts: 61 Member
    I'm kinda doing it.. I limit myself to one small serving of carbs a day, and it has to be before midday, when I need the most energy. Then it's either wholegrain bread, millet, or bulghur.. I'm finding it great too! Not feeling fatigued, and actually feeling pretty good. :)

One thing I will say is up your protein intake hugely! Try get 40% of your daily calorie needs from protein.. We need this to help us build lean muscle! And muscle burns 9 times more calories at a resting rate than fat, so up that protein intake :)
  • My trainer suggested I do South Beach as I have 30 pounds to lose and after working out with him three times a week for a year- I have barely lost any weight. I went to my nutritionist today to weigh in and sadly have gained 3 pounds since i started SBD last week, so that's very frustrating. I'm hoping by next week the diet will kick in as we do pretty intense weight lifting and interval cardio training so I'm shocked I have not lost any fat at all. Only my legs look a little firmer, but my thick upper body is holding tight. drrrrrrrrrr......
  • jbwork
    jbwork Posts: 9
    I'm not sure what kind of workouts you do, but carbs are important in your diet, especially if you do any resistance training. Carb intake can really turn into a battle of will, and cutting them out all together is often easier to do, instead of having small amounts and then craving more carbs. If I were you, I might try to cycle it, on workout days, fill that gap with some carbs, and on non-workout days, try to get you some fatty-proteins. Going under that 1200 calorie mark can be bad, so you should always try to hit your calorie goals. Technically, to lose weight, carbs/fat/protein don't really matter, its all about the mighty calorie intake overall.
  • Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    low carb, moderate protein, high fat -- works great for me and I am 58, diabetic and hypothyroid. tried low carb and low fat. Lost at first, then never again. Started researching low carb and found LCHF, decided to give it a try and I am happy with not only the results, but how I feel! Best advice is to do your homework. Good Luck

(ps I work out with plenty of energy to last 90-120 minutes at the gym. I don't play around with 5 lb weights. That includes elliptical or treadmill and at least an hour of weight training. Sometimes swimming laps for 40 minutes replaces the elliptical. Big achievement was starting at not being able to swim ONE LAP to completing a mile a few weeks ago. That's 32 laps. Swam for a solid hour. No need for a bunch of carbs for me!