Superiority Complex

Options
A lot of people who are trying to lose weight have inferiority complexes, in that they don't feel they compare well to lighter people. You read about that a lot on the forum here.

I have the opposite problem. I lost a bunch of weight several years ago, and I remember feeling this way, and now that I'm trying to lose weight again, I can feel it coming on: The superiority complex. I don't compare myself to the skinny people; I tend to notice the heavier people and think, well hey, at least I'm not *that* fat. Then I feel bad for those people and for how I've thought about them, and feel like I should evangelize whatever weight loss regime I'm using. I want to grab them by the collar and say, "Hey! You don't need to be fat! Just use this program and you can lose weight like me!" (See, in the end, it's all about me, isn't it?)

Am I the only one who looks at weight loss this way, or are there other arrogant jerks out there?

Replies

• YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Yeah, this forum is full of jerks like this. Don't worry. Enjoy it :D
  • michybeans
    michybeans Posts: 106
    Options
    I think I am an arrogant jerk like that too, although not with weight so much as with foods. Now that I've learned so much about nutrition and healthy eating, I cringe when I see other people's "bad habits" like fried food, greasy burgers or talking about their trendy love for bacon. But then I have to remind myself, it's their life, not mine and it's none of my business! :)
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    talking about their trendy love for bacon.

My love for bacon is not trendy, it has been life long.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    I think I am an arrogant jerk like that too, although not with weight so much as with foods. Now that I've learned so much about nutrition and healthy eating, I cringe when I see other people's "bad habits" like fried food, greasy burgers or talking about their trendy love for bacon. But then I have to remind myself, it's their life, not mine and it's none of my business! :)

I love bacon and juicy burgers and a couple weeks ago we had a family night called "all the fried foods" where we battered and fried everything we could think of in the house. It was amazing. I'm glad I can help make you feel better about yourself. :flowerforyou:
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options

Mine also. And bacon is good for you.
  • whitney_simpson
    whitney_simpson Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I find myself working very hard to refrain from telling people to make better choices in their lives.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I find myself working very hard to refrain from telling people to make better choices in their lives.

That's probably a smart move because every good choice is a bad one to SOMEBODY. Bacon is a prime example.
  • PaulHalicki
    PaulHalicki Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    If loving bacon is wrong, I don't wanna be right.
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options

I love bacon and juicy burgers and a couple weeks ago we had a family night called "all the fried foods" where we battered and fried everything we could think of in the house. It was amazing. I'm glad I can help make you feel better about yourself. :flowerforyou:

I wanna come to THAT party!
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I'm an arrogant jerk too, a while it can sometimes be difficult to suppress those feelings of superiority (which really, come from a place of insecurity), I find it pretty easy to keep my mouth shut about it and not stare.
  • jenjencin78
    jenjencin78 Posts: 4,415 Member
    Options
    I'm an arrogant jerk too, a while it can sometimes be difficult to suppress those feelings of superiority (which really, come from a place of insecurity), I find it pretty easy to keep my mouth shut about it and not stare.

This and also I try to keep in mind that there is someone thinner than me feeling smug and scoffing at my efforts. It usually keeps me in check.
  • suzieduh
    suzieduh Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    bacon. fried. grilled. chopped into little pieces and served on top of cheesy mash. that was my dinner tonight :D
  • jasoncbackus
    jasoncbackus Posts: 131 Member
    Options

My name is Jason, and I approve this comment.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    If loving bacon is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Amen! Besides, three slices of typical bacon is only 70-90 calories. If you don't have room for that in your diet from time to time, something is wrong (except for observant Muslims and Jews, vegetarians, vegans, and others who don't eat pork for religious or dietary reasons).
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Yeah, this forum is full of jerks like this. Don't worry. Enjoy it :D

There are a few jerks here and there, I agree. The worst ones are the body shamers, in my opinion.