I have an important question regarding exercising while travelling ...

Hi, I am in a state of life where I have decided to backpack for the next 2+ years. (2021-2023)
I have been working out on and off. Its not like I had a routine, and that is kind of something I also want to work on.

My goal is to lose the last 10 pounds by the end of this year and learn skills like handstand, headstand and be able to do 2 pull ups at least.

That being said, I do want to find a routine where I can work out while travelling. I will be travelling to SE Asia, India, Nepal and Europe. I am not sure if finding a gym everywhere I go would be possible.

What are some recommendations of exercises/routines while travelling full time?

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Calisthenics and most anything else dealing with bodyweight excercises.

Safe travels!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,940 Member
    Travelling by its very definition is going to be a lot of exercise. You can pack some lightweight resistance bands. I use mine a lot.
  • shirazumdraws
    shirazumdraws Posts: 63 Member
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    Calisthenics and most anything else dealing with bodyweight excercises.

Safe travels!

Thank you XD

Few things I have already made a list of are,
    1. Calisthenics
    2. Walking 10 miles
    3. Hiking
    4. Jump Roping

Still asking if people have other recommendations to add to the list.
  • shirazumdraws
    edited May 2020
    Travelling by its very definition is going to be a lot of exercise. You can pack some lightweight resistance bands. I use mine a lot.

I have never used resistance band. Can you suggest me some? Or some basic insight on it? Also, I am packing light, just a 40 litre Osprey backpack with 5 sets of outfit and a laptop and a drawing tablet.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Yoga?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,831 Member
    Cycling? Buy a bicycle wherever you're hoping to go and cycle as transportation.
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    You can run anywhere.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,092 Member
    Running
    Or google gyms in the places you are travelling to. Some of the bigger cities will have them.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,421 Member
    I love trying out yoga studios in other cities and countries. Many give you the first class for free, otherwise it can get pricey for dropins.

You may also get a bit of mild pushback because they won’t know your skill level, or, as I found at a kundalini studio in Germany, if you don’t have proper attire (all white garments in that case). However, none have ever refused me at all, once establishing I was capable and could follow even without English instructions. Familiarity with the Sanskrit terms will help.

It’s very interesting to see how “regional” yoga instruction can be.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Hike.
  • shirazumdraws
    Hike.

That's what I do mostly.
  • dewit
    dewit Posts: 1,468 Member
    Workout videos, Tabata or Hiit. I love popsugars and HasFit, lots to choose from!
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Walking is my preferred way to explore a new place.

I have often happily walked 10-15 miles a day in European cities, apart from that I will always try to find swimming pools.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Backpacking for 2 years in and of itself is exercise. What am I missing?
  • shirazumdraws
    Backpacking for 2 years in and of itself is exercise. What am I missing?

Haha, its not really. I backpacked in my early 20s for about eleven months and gained about 5 pounds. So good food and way too much beer and those Jägerbomb haha.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    If you already plan on spending a lot of time hiking and on your feet, take care of your body. Stretching and rolling, especially your legs and back is critically important to prevent injury and stay comfortable.