New and feeling deprived

Options
Lcball78
Lcball78 Posts: 7 Member
Hi I am new to this. I started yesterday with food counting and I felt very deprived. I felt I ate clean and well. It put a damper on my day. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Why do you feel deprived?
    Because you feel your calorie goal is low? (how many calories did you eat?)
    Or because eating 'clean' isn't pleasant for you and you prefer/are used to other foods?

You don't need to starve yourself or ban treats to lose weight. Just a mild calorie deficit and eating the foods you like in smaller quantities is enough to lose weight.
  • Lcball78
    Options
    Maybe I am taking the counting the numbers wrong. I divide it by three (three meals) and allow myself to eat then. I am on 1200 calories a day.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Maybe you shouldn't be on 1200 calories a day. What is your height, weight, and general daily activity?
  • Lcball78
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and 224lbs. I am 42. At 39, I was 175lbs and I felt great! I am a big girl, not petite at all. Once I got to the age of 40, the weight gain happened and I had a hard time loosing weight. I think hormones have a big part in me not able to lose weight.
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Lcball78 wrote: »
    I'm 5'8" and 224lbs. I am 42. At 39, I was 175lbs and I felt great! I am a big girl, not petite at all. Once I got to the age of 40, the weight gain happened and I had a hard time loosing weight. I think hormones have a big part in me not able to lose weight.

Try dropping your weight loss from 2 lbs a week to 1.5 or 1 lb a week. I'm 5'7 starting weight was 225, and even though I need to lose close to 90 lbs 2 lbs a week made me miserable.

Adding I'm 37.
  • jenlefleur31
    jenlefleur31 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hey! I’ve just read through the thread I’m 5’9 and have set my calorie goal to lose 1lb a week I was tempted to go for a bigger loss each week but I think it would be too restricting and like you’ve said feel deprived! I did my first day today with a calorie goal of around 1500 and I’ve loved it I’ve had 3 full meals and a snack this evening and I’ve also got a couple hundred calories left over, if you have a fitness tracker sync it up and if you do exercise it also takes that into consideration if you wish to add the extra calories for the day ☺️
    I hope this helps in some way! As I’d hate to think someone felt deprived!
    Lcball78 wrote: »

• DarrellB1980
    DarrellB1980 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Stick with it and like it’s been said try eating the foods you like in moderation and also extra exercise definitely gives you that little extra wiggle room calories wise but it is a life style change to get yourself were you want to go and maintaining for the rest. I’m only in my second week counting calories with this app and have downed 5lbs and it has been a lot better after my first week and I kinda gaged my room with calories with what I like to eat😁. Good luck to you and I hope you reach your goals,I’m sure you will👍
  • podperson1
    podperson1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I think when you start feeling deprived it's normally because you're 'banning' certain foods. I try to go with the idea that there's no bad or good foods as long as I stay within my calories (and I am at 1200). So if I want some pizza or cake etc then I can have it, but I adjust accordingly. After a bit I have found that I'm leaning more towards healthier choices as I can have more of them :D but knowing that I CAN have something if I'm craving it gives me a much better mindset.
  • ChelleDee07
    ChelleDee07 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I'd also like to suggest that you may want to increase your protein and fiber intake. Higher amounts of protein and fiber can help you help you feel full & satisifed longer. Keep pushing! You can do it.