Mowing grass - Push mower - how do I log it?

Are there ways to log mowing grass?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,940 Member
    edited May 2020
    I think most of us only count purposeful exercise, not chores that we've been doing regularly anyway.

With that said, you can mostly account for things like mowing and housecleaning by picking an Activity Level that's higher up the list than "Sedentary." I am set at "Active" even though I'm retired and live in a small condo - so no yard work.

You'll have to play with it a bit to dial in things like this. When I first started I was counting stuff like washing and waxing my car. That gets old real fast.

I decided that only purposeful exercise would get logged. That incentivized exercise for me, and gave me a lot less to worry about.

Log for a couple months and you'll spot a trend.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Cutting my own grass I would just regard as part of my overall activity level and wouldn't log it.

For something exceptional like this where I reclaimed an overgrown garden with many hours of hard labour I would just have a rough stab at an estimate.
    As it's an exceptional event I wouldn't be at all concerned at the accuracy.

p98wszgkqj1y.jpg

• Zodiacsmom
    Zodiacsmom Posts: 105 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    Cutting my own grass I would just regard as part of my overall activity level and wouldn't log it.

For something exceptional like this where I reclaimed an overgrown garden with many hours of hard labour I would just have a rough stab at an estimate.
    As it's an exceptional event I wouldn't be at all concerned at the accuracy.

p98wszgkqj1y.jpg

That is what my yard looks like HAHAHAHAH
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    One option to consider - sure to be an underestimate as long as the mower isn't self-powered - is just to log it as the walking.

Like others, if it was something I did every week, I wouldn't log it. If it was unusual, I might, if it was long enough (the duration, not the grass ;) ).
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,314 Member
    edited May 2020
    I think there is an entry in the database for mowing. if not, yard work works.

I log mowing...but I don't do it all the time and my yard is NOT flat, so pushing 50 lbs of vibrating metal up inclines while fighting off attack chigger etc, is more challenging to me than just walking.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    There is an entry for mowing the grass that I use. I logged my distance with my GPS watch once and found I walked over 3 miles pushing the mower to cover my yard. Since it takes at least an hour to do our lawn, I absolutely consider that extra exercise, and not just part of my sedentary life.
  • stella7x7
    stella7x7 Posts: 2,605 Member
    I've gone on google and asked it how many caleries do you burn doing whatever it was I wanted to know. It sent me to a sight that shows how many caleries different things burns. I hope that helps you. I'm sure you burned quite a few.