Food Diaries

Options
I have a question: Do you think it's good/bad to comment on someone's Food Diary, if you don't see a positive menu for their day?

Replies

• Kellllog
    Kellllog Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I think it's good as long as it's done in a polite/sensitive way
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Do you think they don't know?

What sort of agreement do you have with the person - if they want you to get on them, go for it. If it's just some random person, don't.
  • A_Warrior_Princess
    A_Warrior_Princess Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    For me personally, I appreciate the honesty. Yesterday, mine was not great at all and I know some of my MFP pals will comment on it and tell me to get back on track. Personally I like that more than the good job, etc.. type of stuff. To me it means someone took the time to review my diary and like a friend they are telling me to get my butt back on track.
  • stacetherainbow
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't comment on what I view as a poor food choice. There are people who eat better than me and people who eat worse, but food quality is a personal opinion. If my friend has indicated dissatisfaction with her food choices, I might offer some advice or encouragement, but ultimately, it's calories in vs calories out. If she is meeting her weight loss goals, good for her!
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    If they ask for your opinion sure if not no.
  • happymum37
    happymum37 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I think that's a difficult one. Everybody is on their own personal journey and I'm not here to judge anybody but I won't say well done or anything positive if I think someone is being really unhealthy. I tend not to say anything negative though as I figure we are all adults and responsible for ourselves and people generally know already if they are doing something risky. If someone asks for an opinion though I will be honest.
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Tough question, depends on the person. For me, I could care less. I eat crap, you see I eat crap, tell me I eat crap. Lolz.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I don't mind at all, it's the reason mine is opened after all. We are all here to help each other
  • onetooblown
    onetooblown Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    if they had a splurge it's fine we all need a little something every once in a while and hey IIFYM.

How do you comment nicely if they net under 1200 though?? I usually comment on all of my friends diaries but if they are eating way below what they should I don't bc I don't want to encourage poor eating habits. Is there a nice way to say "you need to eat moooooooreee"?
  • cgphelps24
    cgphelps24 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I would not comment on soemone elses food diary. The days that I eat bad, I already know I eat bad. I just pick myself up and move on to the next day and try to do better. We all have our bad days.
  • Mady1911
    Mady1911 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I've got comments of my own to make but refrain...I don't know them very well and don't wanna complicate things. They sit there and never say hello or anything! I did once...as politely and well intended as possible but she never replied. Guess that didn't go down well! Myself, I'd love to be told what I'm doing wrong, but no one does( and I'm pretty new as well, so I do need advice). Don't we all make bad choices when it comes to food? Otherwise we wouldn't be here! But most take good intended advices in a wrong way!
  • cupcakes_and_cardio
    cupcakes_and_cardio Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want as long as it's within my calories, so I never say anything bad/negative about anyone's calories. If they go over a lot (which I do at times) I just don't comment, that's all. It's not really my business, just as it's no one's business what I eat, that's why my diary's private now.
  • jovalleau
    jovalleau Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    If you know them well enough, then sure.

If they are your friends then definitely!

If I had anyone else I knew on MFP and they commented on my diary, it would probably be: "BORING!"

But I'm okay with that :)
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    For me personally, I appreciate the honesty. Yesterday, mine was not great at all and I know some of my MFP pals will comment on it and tell me to get back on track. Personally I like that more than the good job, etc.. type of stuff. To me it means someone took the time to review my diary and like a friend they are telling me to get my butt back on track.

^^This, nearly to a tee.^^

The only difference with me is that I do appreciate the "good job" comments also. But it needs to be in line with an actual accomplishment, not give me a pat on the back for something I know wasn't good.

That said, I also know that I am not perfect all of the time. (Yesterday was a bad day - though it was either that or fall asleep on the job due to no sleep the prior night). I certainly no that I cannot live that regularly - the no sleep and yesterday's foods - but the changes I'm making need to be within my lifestyle. I love getting positive reinforcement of things I should change, of things I should be doing, of things I flat out need to get rid of.

I hope this helps Remi! :happy:
  • manique45
    manique45 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I think its peoples personal preference... Because everyone is not as they say "CLEAN" eaters.... Some people are not carb eaters... some are calorie counters only... I am more like the last one although I do make a point to eat higher protein... But for example when ever TOM comes for a visit I know that I will most likely eat a little QUOTE JUNK... However I always about 99% of the time stay with in my calorie allowance... So to me my diary looks great... but my one bite of red velvet cupcake may look like a failure in someone elses eyes... Lol

I don't care I'm in this for the long haul this is my lifestyle... I love salads, nuts and lean meats they are staples of my kitchen as well as protein shakes... I also have 3 kids work full time and go to school full time... So if that means I have to stop at Mc Donalds to grap a wrap I log my 360 calories and i eat :o) LOL
  • Clauduchinno
    Options
    Constructive criticism is always good.. Just as long and you don't make them feel stupid about it :wink:
  • moss11
    moss11 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not unless its encouragement and support, or they have expressly asked what i think. Perhaps they have just had a bad couple of days, the fact that they are logging is proof they are trying. Perhaps at this particular time their eating pattern is not what others might choose but again they are genuinely doing there best to achieve what they consider is right for them, we might not agree but it's their choice. We learn best by our own mistakes. I think this is a supportive community and we can do that in many ways.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options

Me too and I always welcome their suggestions